Angry after MAQS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Today is the 7th day of MAQ treatment.
I decided to make and put on a celotex jacket as per DerekM late this afternoon.
They were very angry to see me. Surprised I didn't get stung as they were all pinging off me.
Anyway, the leaflet says check queen right after one month.
If I wait that long then I haven't a hope in hell of getting a new queen mated right?
Is it too late in the season for that already? I only have one other colony and if I had to merge them I imagine I would lose lots of bees to their old site...

I have 2 colonies that I think are queen less, they will get joined to a queen right colony very soon. I think when using MAQS it is better to use it earlier in the season so they have time to sort themselves out.

You've hardly a hope in h*ll of getting one mated now, let alone finding out in a month from now! Think about it.

Draw yourself a time-line.

If its pointless checking in a month then don't. Keep your fingers crossed and hoe she is there in the spring. We are all on a big learning curve with MAQS and I guess spring is going to furnish us with lots of answers. I treated a month ago but I am not going to check for queens.
E

If its pointless checking in a month then don't. Keep your fingers crossed and hoe she is there in the spring. We are all on a big learning curve with MAQS and I guess spring is going to furnish us with lots of answers. I treated a month ago but I am not going to check for queens.
E
So no more inspections for you this year?
I've never seen a queen in that colony anyway. Only had it since June and if I see BIAS I don't feel the need to find the queen.
Thanks for the replies

Nope, have not inspected for four weeks. Why should I? They can survive fine without my interference. I only inspect to ensure that I manipulate them to try and do what I want when I want, not just to see what is going on! I managed o keep them strong for my honey flow, I took the honey, I treated, I fed them back half filled frames and I will feed the light ones.
E

Good stuff. I prefer not to bother them if not necessary too. I'm far too involved in their lives already!

I treated 7 hives with MAQS in August using an increased ventilation set-up. It appears that all the Qs have survived. I don't know how the varroa fared.

E
:iagree:
I'm with Enrico on this. Next year I'm going to treat earlier.
A

Hi,
Today is the 7th day of MAQ treatment.
I decided to make and put on a celotex jacket as per DerekM late this afternoon.
They were very angry to see me. Surprised I didn't get stung as they were all pinging off me.
Anyway, the leaflet says check queen right after one month.
If I wait that long then I haven't a hope in hell of getting a new queen mated right?
Is it too late in the season for that already? I only have one other colony and if I had to merge them I imagine I would lose lots of bees to their old site...
Hi Lebouche
It's a good idea to know whats going on in the hive now
Several reports of Queens going missing with MAQS
So I would look in there , if you see eggs then all is well, otherwise continue see if there are any queen cells, If there are no queen cells then the queen is probably there and you may well spot her.
If you are worried about the MAQS and you are not seeing big varroa drops then take the strips out.
The manufacturers say 20% of young brood can be lost and that alone might be a reason not to use the treatment late in the season
If your queen is gone you will have to combine with your other hive as it's too late now to get a Queen hatched mated and laying, that takes a Calendar month taking you up to November
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back