And there was a great wailing and a gnashing of teeth.........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pity some members here have such a jaundiced view!
I think the tendency towards quite a few members of this forum being jaundiced, or at least semi-critical of the BBKA makes perfect sense. Those that haven't found what they were looking for from the BBKA and/or their LBKA will naturally tend to hunt other sources of advice/information, and many ultimately end up here.
This forum is our very own 'beekeeping association' where we can all benefit from a huge range of advice, and discuss lots of different ideas, including those that are less popular in more traditional beekeeping.
P.S. I'm a member of the BBKA - but only for the insurance ;)

I think the tendency towards quite a few members of this forum being jaundiced, or at least semi-critical of the BBKA makes perfect sense. Those that haven't found what they were looking for from the BBKA and/or their LBKA will naturally tend to hunt other sources of advice/information, and many ultimately end up here.
This forum is our very own 'beekeeping association' where we can all benefit from a huge range of advice, and discuss lots of different ideas, including those that are less popular in more traditional beekeeping.
P.S. I'm a member of the BBKA - but only for the insurance ;)
Very true but this is no reason to allow it to degenerate into a wailing pit for the disaffected? .
As a member of the BBKA as with other organisations, you get out what you put in . do something positive to steer it into the kind of organisation you desire and deserve.

I am new to beekeeping and of course joined the local BBKA group, because you do. I haven't been at all surprised to discover the that both the local group and national association fall very much into the "old farts" pattern that is common to clubs and groups in the country. Pandemic aside, the local group have offered me almost nothing, no course, no mentor, v little advise etc etc. You do get tea and cake at the get togethers but these are mostly at a very inconvenient time if you have a job!
The only use of the BBKA is the insurance and the magazine.

You must be unlucky with your local Association.

Ours did Zoom classes last year, does do mentoring and is running beginner's courses this year. And we are small in BBKA terms.

But one attendee did say he travelled 30- miles to us rather than his local Association because "you people are down to earth and not stuck up " or words to that effect.

But I have to say this as someone who helps our Association - in a small way - it all depends on your President/Chairman to set the tone. And you need willing volunteers to help. (which is a problem at times)

BBKA is entirely volunteer apart from admin staff so it is bound to be disjointed at times.

BUT I am ADM delegate and the egos I have seen on display amongst some of the Trustees - some now gone thankfully- and my first ADM 2018? - were cringeworthy and utterly offputting.

I believe the original BBKA largely consisted of "gentlemen beekeepers" in Victorian times ## with contempt for those who were professionals. Some of those Victorian attitudes appear to persist today.

### Think cricket with the distinction between amateurs and professionals... and the disdain the amateurs had for the pros.
It still exists - even amongst some of our more elderly members.

Very true but this is no reason to allow it to degenerate into a wailing pit for the disaffected? .
As a member of the BBKA as with other organisations, you get out what you put in . do something positive to steer it into the kind of organisation you desire and deserve.
Personally, I find this forum quite balanced with regard to pro/anti BBKA feeling. There are positives and negatives in everything in life. A realistic perspective and a little criticism is good for all of us, if not always pleasant.

I appreciate that the association can't be steered from the outside, but what concerns me most is that the association risks becoming a self-perpetuating bastion of the same fixed views. The impression of the BBKA that new beekeepers get initially isn't always very positive and can discourage them from the very start, so that they simply never feel welcome to engage.

However, like all large organisations, it's unfair to tar all with the same brush. I'm sure some local branches of the BBKA are far more welcoming and innovative than others - hence the wide range of experiences and views of the BBKA that we hear on this forum.

You must be unlucky with your local Association.

Ours did Zoom classes last year, does do mentoring and is running beginner's courses this year. And we are small in BBKA terms.

But one attendee did say he travelled 30- miles to us rather than his local Association because "you people are down to earth and not stuck up " or words to that effect.

But I have to say this as someone who helps our Association - in a small way - it all depends on your President/Chairman to set the tone. And you need willing volunteers to help. (which is a problem at times)

BBKA is entirely volunteer apart from admin staff so it is bound to be disjointed at times.

BUT I am ADM delegate and the egos I have seen on display amongst some of the Trustees - some now gone thankfully- and my first ADM 2018? - were cringeworthy and utterly offputting.

I believe the original BBKA largely consisted of "gentlemen beekeepers" in Victorian times ## with contempt for those who were professionals. Some of those Victorian attitudes appear to persist today.

### Think cricket with the distinction between amateurs and professionals... and the disdain the amateurs had for the pros.
It still exists - even amongst some of our more elderly members.
My branch and committee are far from stuck up !
infact it has coal miners amongst its membership Who don’t put up with pretentious nonsense .
It is affiliated to the Lancashire beekeeing association!
which runs courses . Conventions Honey shows Further education. Puts in an appearance at local fetes, shows .
its bustling .
interestingly it has supplied more presidents , committee members and trustees proportionally than any other area .
commitment may be a clue .
schools get Visits where a virtual hive is deployed ,plus other teaching aides !
you get out that which you put it . Should you have a bad experience, don’t walk away, refresh the atmosphere .

My branch and committee are far from stuck up !
infact it has coal miners amongst its membership Who don’t put up with pretentious nonsense .
It is affiliated to the Lancashire beekeeing association!
which runs courses . Conventions Honey shows Further education. Puts in an appearance at local fetes, shows .
its bustling .
interestingly it has supplied more presidents , committee members and trustees proportionally than any other area .
commitment may be a clue .
schools get Visits where a virtual hive is deployed ,plus other teaching aides !
you get out that which you put it . Should you have a bad experience, don’t walk away, refresh the atmosphere .
Unfortunately I get the impression that in some Associations if you are a newcomer, and your face dos not fit - for whatever reason - then you can be and are ignored. (not ours nor yours from what you say - thank goodness)

Unfortunately I get the impression that in some Associations if you are a newcomer, and your face dos not fit - for whatever reason - then you can be and are ignored. (not ours nor yours from what you say - thank goodness)
Not my one either. Our beginner groups (25 each year) have always oversubscribed in recent years. It is not my nearest association but I selected it for the way it looks after beginners and the friendly atmosphere.

Clearly you have a personal agenda here that I would have thought better not publicised on this forum.
As long as we live in a democracy I will voice my opinions, no offence is intended, I love my beekeeping and want people in the future to do the same, the lost beekeepers over the last 20 years runs into thousands, we need to stem the tide. I have tried to work with the BBKA, for three years in a row they asked me to sponsor a new exam…….another bl---y theory and for three years I told them that is not was is needed, we need more practical courses, that I would have happily sponsored.

By agenda if you are referring to an original thought that should be discussed then yes of course I am guilty, what’s to be frightened of ?

I am new to beekeeping and of course joined the local BBKA group, because you do. I haven't been at all surprised to discover the that both the local group and national association fall very much into the "old farts" pattern that is common to clubs and groups in the country. Pandemic aside, the local group have offered me almost nothing, no course, no mentor, v little advise etc etc. You do get tea and cake at the get togethers but these are mostly at a very inconvenient time if you have a job!
The only use of the BBKA is the insurance and the magazine. Only a little of the mag is interesting (understandable as it covers a wide range of readership) but I do find it massively biased in its views, I would find it far more useful if they reported both side and let me draw a conclusion. I don't need to preached at. As for the vitriol towards BE and the importation issue, that has been shocking. From what I gather, importation of bees has been going on for decades, where are their earlier arguments? They have the perfect set up to promote home grown apiaries, use the club network to get new members supplied or help out those with high loses. If they killed the demand they would kill the supply. But they would rather throw bricks than do anything positive.
As for BE, I have always found them to be a decent company, that said I don't agree with them on the import issue but not gonna fall out over it.
If the insurance and a few articles are you main reason for your membership you should rethink things.

Most beekeeping hobby activity is covered by your household insurance. Beekeeping is best learnt in practice not in the covers of a tired mag.

Personally, I find this forum quite balanced with regard to pro/anti BBKA feeling. There are positives and negatives in everything in life. A realistic perspective and a little criticism is good for all of us, if not always pleasant.

I appreciate that the association can't be steered from the outside, but what concerns me most is that the association risks becoming a self-perpetuating bastion of the same fixed views. The impression of the BBKA that new beekeepers get initially isn't always very positive and can discourage them from the very start, so that they simply never feel welcome to engage.

However, like all large organisations, it's unfair to tar all with the same brush. I'm sure some local branches of the BBKA are far more welcoming and innovative than others - hence the wide range of experiences and views of the BBKA that we hear on this forum.
The churn rate for BBKA memebership is almost 30% some years, membership is falling generally, the BBKA fail to see that they need to change. I know because I pay for inserts.
Its not all bad and can be salvaged, it needs new young blood and a real interst in beekeeping,

Not my one either. Our beginner groups (25 each year) have always oversubscribed in recent years. It is not my nearest association but I selected it for the way it looks after beginners and the friendly atmosphere.
Wall flowers are usually self propagated.

The churn rate for BBKA memebership is almost 30% some years, membership is falling generally, the BBKA fail to see that they need to change. I know because I pay for inserts.
Its not all bad and can be salvaged, it needs new young blood and a real interst in beekeeping,
BBKA membership was around

1953: c 80,000
2001 9,000
2010 20,000
2020 28,000

Last edited:
Duplicate sorry

posting this question here as I hope it might survive on Mr Jenkin's thread....is this forum being moderated for reasons other than offensive posts?

I'm a member of the BBKA - but only for the insurance ;)
Count yourself lucky. I have been a member for many years. In that time my local association messed up and I found one year they took the money but did not sign me up. This year, because the BBKA made a mistake that I pointed out, they sent my subscription and insurance money back. If that isn't a 'goodbye,' I don't know what is! As I said to them, they are a bunch of amateurs who could never do the decent thing and apologise for any mistakes. That attitude seems to roll down to the local BBKA groups as well.

posting this question here as I hope it might survive on Mr Jenkin's thread....is this forum being moderated for reasons other than offensive posts?
I wondered about that. JBM's 'witterings' aside, I noticed a member who was leaving has had their post removed?

Also some members have been removed for offensive private messages and one for stalking a moderator.
Oh and I do remember having to edit a few posts which while not offensive in themselves were guaranteed to provoke.

Latest posts

Back