And there was a great wailing and a gnashing of teeth.........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Or to give the full King James verse of Matthew 13:43 " And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth."
as some may have guessed, this month's BBKA comic has just landed on the doormat. The 'feature' article caught my eye as it was dealing with hot summers and overheating hives 'here goes' I thought, the usual flannel about 'ventilation' and matchsticks, but no! the 'Master' beekeeper writing the article actually spoke of INSULATION :hairpull: and permanently fixing 50mm of PIR in all hive roofs with no mention of ventilation anywhere in the essay. I could almost hear the grating and feel the vibration as the ivory towers shifted to their foundations.
I wonder if they have a ceremony at Stoneleigh where the the heretic is dragged out to the apiary, stripped of his sistificits, badges and beesuit and pinned down whilst they conduct the planned great shook swarm of all the hives to ensure a good spread of the EFB they have found in one colony there?

Or to give the full King James verse of Matthew 13:43 " And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be a great weeping and gnashing of teeth."
as some may have guessed, this month's BBKA comic has just landed on the doormat. The 'feature' article caught my eye as it was dealing with hot summers and overheating hives 'here goes' I thought, the usual flannel about 'ventilation' and matchsticks, but no! the 'Master' beekeeper writing the article actually spoke of INSULATION :hairpull:and permanently fixing 50mm of PIR in all hive roofs with no mention of ventilation anywhere in the essay. I could almost hear the grating and feel the vibration as the ivory towers shifted to their foundations.
I wonder if they have a ceremony at Stoneleigh where the the heretic is dragged out to the apiary, stripped of his sistificits, badges and beesuit and pinned down whilst they conduct the planned great shook swarm of all the hives to ensure a good spread of the EFB they have found in one colony there?

Bug*er, I bought a box of Cooks' Matches just yesterday...

It’s like I said before there are bits associated with the BBKA that are good and there are bits that are truly awful. 😉

It’s rather like the gardening magazine's that even in a terrible summer with rain lashing down the editor decrees that every July they must do a article on drought proof plants. You can get really relevant information on the current situation on YouTube etc, not always correct but does address things like the terrible spring and late queen rearing. BBKA magazine must create a full 12 months of magazines and just post them out

as some may have guessed, this month's BBKA comic has just landed on the doormat. The 'feature' article caught my eye as it was dealing with hot summers and overheating hives 'here goes' I thought, the usual flannel about 'ventilation' and matchsticks, but no! the 'Master' beekeeper writing the article actually spoke of INSULATION :hairpull:and permanently fixing 50mm of PIR in all hive roofs with no mention of ventilation anywhere in the essay. I could almost hear the grating and feel the vibration as the ivory towers shifted to their foundations.
Sounds a bit like my wedding, but with fishing rods and waders instead of badges and bee suits. Still...it was for my own good.

As I have said before, they welcome any articles from beekeepers that make people think. Instead of criticising, write what you believe and send it to them. It is hard to fill a monthly magazine with new stuff and I am sure they would welcome your imaginative articles JBM. 💣

Great advice from the BBKA...the options for mockery are narrowing. ;)

I know there will be staunch BBKA members tutting at this, I know of one at least and he is adamant bees survive equally without. As he is a trainer I have heard him tell others he has never done so, so it isn't necessary, imho a non thinking beekeeper stuck in the trenches of old BBKA thinking.

Last edited:
I know there will be staunch BBKA members tutting at this, I know of one at least and he is adamant bees survive equally without. As a trainer I have heard him tell others he has never done so, so it isn't necessary, imho a non thinking beekeeper stuck in the trenches of old BBKA thinking.
To be fair they would be like that if they were in the BBKA or not. It isn't the BBKA' s fault they are the way they are! I am not a member by the way!

I am a BBKA member. Some of the stuff they spout is rubbish, as are some of the posts on here. The difference is that here, due to the format, the " rubbish" can easily be corrected or clarified.
I got used to sorting the wheat from the chaff in about my third year of beekeeping. In other words I now think things through, while keeping an open mind

Problem is that I have noticed is that some new beeks who hang on the coat tails of an individual who tends to take control can do little wrong, so myths and bad practice are perpetuated.

'Wittering'.....again. BUT.....good wittering none the less! :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back