and I was so hopeful...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
A week or so ago it looked like I was going to get a small harvest from my bees this year. I had a couple of supers that were beginning to be sealed so I left them on to be capped hopeful I could remove a few frames for extracting.

But having just inspected it seems as though there are less cappings and less stores now. I wasnt planning to be greedy but this is my second year keeping the bees and I had been looking forward so much to having a couple of jars of honey this year!

oh well....

I'd better just get my feeders ready.

As you're shortly going to feed anyway, why not take any super frames with sealed honey, cut them out into blocks, jar and call it chunk honey.

This is our first year, and we just want a taste, so last night took a frame out of a super with the typical 'bridge' of capped honey, and extracted it by the "crush and strain" method - I was surprised how much we got out of one frame - almost a 1lb jar.
Perhaps do one or 2 more frames later on, and then leave the rest for the bees for the winter.

i just bought my first nuc any advice
Hi Fergal,
I've not been beekeeping long enough to offer any useful advice, :rolleyes: but I'm certain that others more experienced will be along shortly with masses for you.
Then all you have to do is sort out all the different advice, and which to take... :)

That's a very open question, like 'How do I keep bees.'

At this time of the year you can only focus on building them up with sufficient stores to get through the winter month.

Have you put them into a full sized hive?

Do you know how to feed?

Back