Anaphylaxis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anaphylaxis isn't the primary danger though. Kounis is. Mast cell degranulating peptides destabilize mast cells creating all sorts of mayhem in the body especially when other hymenopteran venoms then act as haptens. From what I can tell this is more of an issue with wasp stings than bee stings but should still be born in mind if after being stung you develop the cardinal symptoms of Kounis. Importantly, Kounis doesn't appear to be limited to coronary vessel involvement. It can also precipitate strokes.

In Kounis' own paper in international journal of cardiology in 2006 he says only 150 cases ever reported worldwide. I agree with him that a lot may not be reported, but over 9 years there were 89 deaths from anaphylaxis in Florida alone ( confirmed by post mortem findings). Stings are only one of the allergens that can lead to Kounis syndrome. Many other things can precipitate it.

Anaphylaxis is much more common and can kill, as can misinformation.

Last edited:
I agree that miss information can be harmful as can citing papers that are a decade old. When I first became aware of Kounis in 2009 there were only a handful of papers. That number is growing as is the understanding of Kounis and it's sequelae not least the propensity to cause thrombi in susceptible patients days after the insult, i.e allowing time for weakened plaques to rupture and time for thrombus formation in response to the rupture. I see no down side in people being made aware of what to look out for and the simple measures that can be taken to protect ones' self such as chewing two chlorpheniramine tablets and hold the resulting paste under the tongue in response to anaphylaxis which will provide a degree of protection against Kounis. I already have one anecdotal history of a pest controller applying the advice given and saving a customer's life as confirmed by the hospital to where the patient was taken.

Hello Russel - If you do have the talk, please will you let us in Brecon & Radnor know if we can come along?

Most of our events are open door, I normally inform Peter B to circulate to your members.

With the catch 22 being that you can't get a prescription for one until you have suffered anaphylactic shock! There is no "just in case you ever do" scenario with the NHS.

Had a bad reaction after sting to my face several years ago and Doc gave me an Epipen. He advised that me that next sting could go either way and he didn't want to be responsible if he hadn't provided some help. Not had a problem (fingers crossed) since and don't carry pen with me......probably not wise.
S

Seems you were showing sufficient signs of an allergic reaction to warrant one.
As I don't, my GP looked into prescribing one, but found he couldn't as his hands were tied. His wife is new beekeeper and I did convince him that it was an advisable precaution, but alas the powers that be didn't see it that way....more expense I suppose!

Had a bad reaction after sting to my face several years ago and Doc gave me an Epipen. He advised that me that next sting could go either way and he didn't want to be responsible if he hadn't provided some help. Not had a problem (fingers crossed) since and don't carry pen with me......probably not wise.
S

If its the same one it is way out of date now so good you don't carry it. they mostly have only 9months -1year date on them.

Last edited:
And this was totally discounted by the prof I saw today it is only a life jacket that keeps alive until properly trained people arrive to administer much stronger drugs.

In my view they are over prescribed as most end up in the bin. they should only be given to people with know need.

Are you suggesting that doctors shouldn't follow the "recommendations" of NICE?

Are you suggesting that doctors shouldn't follow the "recommendations" of NICE?

Not at all as long as they are giving them for the right reasons. its if they are given for the wrong reasons.

As will all drugs they can be over prescribed.

Also I have no intention of getting into another spat with you so wont be posting again and feel you should do the same.

Not at all as long as they are giving them for the right reasons. its if they are given for the wrong reasons.

As will all drugs they can be over prescribed.

Also I have no intention of getting into another spat with you so wont be posting again and feel you should do the same.

I'm just trying to establish what it is that you're proposing. As far as I can see, you believe epi-pens are mis-prescribed and over-prescribed (although I am not clear what evidence this view is based on).

Perhaps they are, and it would be better to go treatment free.

Isn't this one of the functions of NICE though? I thought their role was to ensure efficient and effective use of resources in the NHS through control of the British National Formulary.....or have I got this wrong?

If its the same one it is way out of date now so good you don't carry it. they mostly have only 9months -1year date on them.

No don't carry it as I no longer have much of a reaction, also got some bees that don't try and kill you at every opportunity.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No don't carry it as I no longer have much of a reaction, also got some bees that don't try and kill you at every opportunity.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to be on the safe side have a quick look and if out of date take it to a pharmacy to disposal. Mind you sounds like you don't need it any way so I would dispose of it either way if it were me (im not saying you should if you feel you still need to keep it or replace if out of date from your doc).

Back