an unexpected swarm move in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouarda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, :willy_nilly:I was given a gift of an old beehive a few weeks back which had a couple of frames of drawn comb in the brood box. About 10 days ago a swarm took up residence, my plan was to get bees next spring after doing a course and joining the local bee association classes in the autumn, so I'm not at all well prepared.

I have checked the hive and added more frames with foundation which they are drawing, I have not been able to locate the queen. A local commercial beekeeper said he would call by and check things out for me in a few days when he gets a bit of time.

Any advice would be great especially on the best books to get hold of :bigear:

I live in Ireland and we have different rules and regs about beekeeping here and don't need a lience like in the UK.

Great site by the way.:seeya:

Well done you! Nothing like learning on the job.
I have 'bees at the bottom of my garden' by Alan Campion, its a great book

If your local beek would let you, ask if you can help to inspect their hives to gain quick experience.
your local BKA might have open days, so go along to as many as you can.

Good luck.

An uninvited and unexpected swarm arrives in a hive you got as a present! - you lucky devil!. There are many would be bee-keepers who would envy you your problem. Where in Ireland are you? PM me if you need advice and contact for Rep. of I.

P F

'Guide to Bees and Honey' by Ted Hooper and 'A Practical Manual of Beekeeping' by David Cramp are both very good books in my opinion.

Ouarda, grab the opportunity, it was meant to be. Most people only get to choose bees, the bees chose you! I too started keeping earlier than planned because like you, a swarm decided to take up residence (in a hive I just set-up to see how it worked, went shopping, came home, bees!). It sounds like you have a local mentor which is excellent, take full advantage of them, go to see their hives if atall possible. First hand experience under your mentors guidance with the added focus that they are your own bees will give you all the focus to gain the experience you need. Support that with a good book and you are well on your way. Take advantage of your mentor, remember 'there is no such thing as a stupid question'

I would recommend "A Practical Manual of Beekeeping" by David Cramp as a first book. A much clearer layout than Hooper and his style is much more accessible - not as pompus, easier to get info out of it quickly. I think Hooper is still the best 'one-stop' book, but he assumes a basic knowledge in his writing, when you have this and re-read Hooper he becomes a much more useful reference.

What license would that be :confused::confused::confused:?

I was told by a friend in the UK that before she can keep bees she is required to do a beekeeping course and has to have a licence from dept of ag (has she been misinformed????) :confused::confused::confused::confused:

First thanks for all the info and supprt much appreciated.bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

I am delighted with my new additions as my hive is in my mixed fruit orchard, I'm a very happy bunny :party:

Nature always provides if you ask. even if it is a bit earlier than you'd expected.

thanks again everyone for the book list :seeya:

I was told by a friend in the UK that before she can keep bees she is required to do a beekeeping course and has to have a licence from dept of ag (has she been misinformed????)

Yes - misinformed. No requirement to be licensed or trained. Likewise no requirement to register although it is recommended that beekeepers register on FERA's BeeBase - helps to identify location of kept bees and potentially assist if there is a disease outbreak. I'd recommend training as well.

Latest posts

Back