an omlet with extra plastic :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
an omlet with extra plastic, yeh, I added extra green plastic so shoot me, lol

pic 1 - what you get when they are delivered
pic 2 - added extra plastic just in case!
pic 3 - spot the difference as it sits with other hives

so its ok, early days but I'm open minded to using it as a one off....

Hofman spaced frames not quite at hofman spacing? Will that notvwill mean they will all be securely propolised together?

Regards, RAB

Hofman spaced frames not quite at hofman spacing? Will that notvwill mean they will all be securely propolised together?

Regards, RAB

naaa, even if they do (and so far I have not had it happen on standard frames) its better that the tight fit - for me anyway

I thought hoffman frames were self spacing? If there is a small gap between the built in spacers i am pretty sure the bees will fill it with something as they can't pass through the gap. This wouldn't happen on standard frames as there are no small gaps present.

Am I right in thinking that?

Last edited:
Conventional thinking says use either Hoffman frames, or plain frames with spacers, but not both as this is merely duplication, with the 'small gap propolis risk' as suggested.

No doubt Jezd has his reasons for wishing to experiment. Please keep us informed of the results Jezd.

JC.

Conventional thinking says use either Hoffman frames, or plain frames with spacers, but not both as this is merely duplication, with the 'small gap propolis risk' as suggested.

No doubt Jezd has his reasons for wishing to experiment. Please keep us informed of the results Jezd.

JC.

yes and no, its just that I have bees on hoffmans but simply dont like the spacing, its not been a problem before to be honest

Jezd

Slightly off topic but looking at your "2 pallet platform" would you recommend this?

Would save me making several stands next year.

do you fix them to the ground in some way (with a small stake perhaps?)

Are those on 14 x 12 frames you already had with the colony, or are they standard deep frames, with a view to migrating them off in the spring onto proper 14 x 12s?

Pete K

Jezd

Slightly off topic but looking at your "2 pallet platform" would you recommend this?

Would save me making several stands next year.

do you fix them to the ground in some way (with a small stake perhaps?)

highly recommended, I have other types of stands too but pallets make life easy, those in the picture are euro pallets and having them 2 high means manipulations are at a perfect height for me (6'2"), easy to level them out, easy to move, I have just started to paint/treat my stock of pallets too, I also raise the hives again with two chunks of wood to give full omf ventilation - as always its personal preferences. Once wet they are heavier and the wind will not move them, I always place stones under each corner to level them and keep them off the damp ground too.

Are those on 14 x 12 frames you already had with the colony, or are they standard deep frames, with a view to migrating them off in the spring onto proper 14 x 12s?

Pete K

its a long story, but going back I was supplied bees on 14 x 12, I had one colone let and decided to keep them just for this hive and to see how we go. The beehaus is 14 x 12 so it worked out well in this case, every other hive I have is now standard deep.

just a polite observation, you could do with fitting the middle supers on the BeeHaus as wind could whip through the middle and lift the cover boards.

great colour - mine is a greeny....the closest to camoflage they do.

just a polite observation, you could do with fitting the middle supers on the BeeHaus as wind could whip through the middle and lift the cover boards.

great colour - mine is a greeny....the closest to camoflage they do.

aggh, you spotted the mistake, there is a reason they are missing :) I put the screws in the supers the wrong way and I need to turn the sides around so they fit the hole recess properly - will do tomorrow for all four supers.

LMAO

I did that too in my enthusiasm to put it together !

:) kewl, the funny thing was I spotted the different sides on the second super and though what the hell, cant make a difference - wrong! lol

Latest posts

Back