Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

PkmnTrainerJ 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hello apiarists,
I'm not a beekeeper myself but I do have a few questions and would appreciate all of your assistance.
I run a game of Dungeons & Dragons for my friends (yes, ha ha, I'm a geek etc.) and through an odd series of events my players became beekeepers themselves. I can give further story on that if you wish.

My questions are, what kind of experiences would they have had as apprentice beekeepers and is there anything they may have learned that may prove useful for their future adventures fending off monsters and things? Obviously I want a sense of realism within it to improve the game more.

Thanks for any assistance.

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi,
Wearing protective clothing springs to mind and having an epipen at hand. Have fun!

PkmnTrainerJ 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hello beeno. Thanks for that. Might there be anything they've learned by making certain products too?

beeno 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hello beeno. Thanks for that. Might there be anything they've learned by making certain products too?
Making candles from bees, so that they can see in the dark or use honey as medication on slow healing sore and for sustenance of course food and drink (mead).

MartinL 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,
Wearing protective clothing springs to mind and having an epipen at hand. Have fun!
Ignore the epipen thing at all costs!
You'd have to roll a double 20 on two 18 sided dice to allow you the wisdom to wield it correctly. Probably destroy your entire party due to improper use!

Queens59 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
How to run quickly when they are angry!!!!

Or a hive mind/collective knowledge/esp...

Last edited:

derekm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
How to keep warm and avoid death from hypothermia,
Which entrance to keep closed to preserve heat.
Where the warmest place is in a building
Hide in the top of tree cavity rather than a cave

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Beekeepers are like ancient druids. At the winter solstice they gather to worship their bees and feed them a liquid designed to help them enter the New Year. And in summer, they puff smoke at the bees in worship.

We're really pagans whose gods are bees.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What is Dungeons and Dragons?

davnig 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
not closing up bes suit and finding a bee on their nose

or even worse, leaving their flies open!!

dpearce4 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Hello apiarists,
I'm not a beekeeper myself but I do have a few questions and would appreciate all of your assistance.
I run a game of Dungeons & Dragons for my friends (yes, ha ha, I'm a geek etc.) and through an odd series of events my players became beekeepers themselves. I can give further story on that if you wish.

My questions are, what kind of experiences would they have had as apprentice beekeepers and is there anything they may have learned that may prove useful for their future adventures fending off monsters and things? Obviously I want a sense of realism within it to improve the game more.

Thanks for any assistance.
Getting you back on topic PkmnTrainer.

You have products you can use from the hive, honey for food, wax for making candles or maybe efergies(sp) if your players are able to do black magic, propolis for wound cleaning and glues for making weapons.

The bees can also be uses as weapons themselves your players could package them up in small projectiles to fire with catapults or you could fire whole skeps using the large freestanding catapults (not sure what they are called). You could use your magic to send bees out as scouts to see where the enemies are and what they are doing using the bees eyes.

Im sure there are many other things they could be used for and will have a think for you.

doug

REDWOOD 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Getting you back on topic PkmnTrainer.

You have products you can use from the hive, honey for food, wax for making candles or maybe efergies(sp) if your players are able to do black magic, propolis for wound cleaning and glues for making weapons.

The bees can also be uses as weapons themselves your players could package them up in small projectiles to fire with catapults or you could fire whole skeps using the large freestanding catapults (not sure what they are called). You could use your magic to send bees out as scouts to see where the enemies are and what they are doing using the bees eyes.

Im sure there are many other things they could be used for and will have a think for you.

doug
Expert not worthy

dpearce4 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
What of D and D? nope never played it just thinking what would be good in roleplaying games like that (edit. looking back through time I think I did play it a few times when I was a Teen back in the '80s). Their website is here

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/

and theses shops sell the kit to.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/

more info here about when it started and stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons

As a side line sales to people that follow Wicca may be possible for candles and other useful items.

Last edited:

Hachi 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
You gotta be kidding................ Get some fresh air and go outside instead of making your thumbs hurt!!!

dpearce4 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
You gotta be kidding................ Get some fresh air and go outside instead of making your thumbs hurt!!!
Its a table top game more that a computer game Hachi.

Its what geeks played before PS3 etc.

Latest posts