An International Day of the Honey Bee ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian Cov

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I was watching tv and in a news i found that 8 August was the International cat Day :

http://www.cute-calendar.com/event/world-cat-day/6594-world.html

Being curious I searched the internet for other days dedicated to animals and found that, 26th August is Dog Day.
December 13 is National Day of the Horse.
February 27t International Polar Bear Day.
The 16th of July is celebrated as World Snake Day

I have found that on August 16 in USA is a national honey bee day :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Honey_Bee_Day

So I put this question, if animal lovers dedicated one day a year to the animal they love why beekeepers from all over the world dont unite to celebrate a international honey bee day ?

What is be the best day for such an event?

Clearly it should be December 9th.

This is the festival of St Ambrose, Archbishop of Milan, who is the patron saint of bees and beekeepers.

When he was a baby, a swarm of bees settled on his head, then departed, leaving a few drops of honey on his lips. It was said to indicate that he would become a great preacher and orator.

Dusty

Clearly it should be December 9th.

This is the festival of St Ambrose, Archbishop of Milan, who is the patron saint of bees and beekeepers.

Being an international day of honey bee should keep in mind that not all beekeepers are Christians so we should keep this in mind when chosing a day .

Well, let's just not bother then, because sure as eggs is eggs each day of the year will be special to somebody who will take offence at it being chosen as a special day for bees and beekeepers!

Well, let's just not bother then, because sure as eggs is eggs each day of the year will be special to somebody who will take offence at it being chosen as a special day for bees and beekeepers!

Is it easier to check if there are any days free without commitments, so that polar bears or greenfly don't get upset.
Perhaps the start of OSR? and don't make it a cold and rainy day :icon_204-2:

When he was a baby, a swarm of bees settled on his head, then departed, leaving a few drops of honey on his lips. It was said to indicate that he would become a great preacher and orator.

However, nowadays all beekeepers would know not to use lemongrass-scented baby shampoo if they were going to take the baby anywhere near the apiary …

Perhaps St Ambrose's Day would be a good target date for Oxalic Acid treatment? (By New Year the days are definitely lengthening …)

As bees are creatures that measure the position of the sun. I would suggest one of the solistices or equinoxes.

Perhaps St Ambrose's Day would be a good target date for Oxalic Acid treatment? (By New Year the days are definitely lengthening …)

It'd certainly be better than telling people to wait three weeks after Christmas!

I do like Dusty's idea and I think it says somewhere in the good book not to worshipping false idols

What about a date at the end of beekeping season or a date at the begining of beekeeping season ?

Good idea - I vote St Ambrose's day - aftter the sales and just before I start thinking of making up new kit for the coming season

Yep ... St Ambrose day sounds good to me ... but as usual getting agreement from three beekeepers is near miraculous so a whole world of them ? Is there enough time left in any of our lives to see the end of the argument ?

So I reckon October 28th might be more appropriate - St Jude - Patron saint of lost causes ?

Back