An interesting photograph

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, those are the only ones I do......but why?
Stupid questions usually get an instant sarcastic response Cazz :D
None forthcoming ,ergo he likely to be stumped :D

John Wilkinson

Stupid questions usually get an instant sarcastic response Cazz :D
None forthcoming ,ergo he likely to be stumped :D

John Wilkinson

I didn't know you could tell by looking at the bee if it had nosema! Unless it was doing it's business at the time lol

I didn't know you could tell by looking at the bee if it had nosema! Unless it was doing it's business at the time lol

Some people have x ray eye's don't you know,do nosema spores have bones?,beware of radiation,lead helps i hear.:svengo:

When you see a bee like this one, you can normally expect the presence of nosema
I am sorry, but I just don't understand. What is it about that bee that indicates nosema. It is not defecating and there are no stains on the frame.

The abnormal curved abdomen indicates that something is not quite right. Bees with this symptoms are unable to fly and usually you can find them on the ground in front of the hive.
Just like when you see bees with deformed wings, you expect high levels of varroa, and when you see dead queen cell (when caused by black queen cell virus) among the batch, you expect the presence of nosema, in this case when I see this symptoms (hook shaped abdomen) I expect a disease associated with nosema.
Many of the diseases are connected to each other.

It is a good picture by the way, it is not so common to see chalkbrood and sacbrood at the same hive.

Some people have x ray eye's don't you know

If i was one of them, I wouldn't use my x-ray goggles :coolgleamA: :D:D:D

:cheers2:

Donnie

The abnormal curved abdomen indicates that something is not quite right. Bees with this symptoms are unable to fly and usually you can find them on the ground in front of the hive.
.......you expect the presence of nosema, in this case when I see this symptoms (hook shaped abdomen) I expect a disease associated with nosema.
Donnie

Well now I am even more confused!

Bailey and Ball say that "infected bees show no outward sign of disease". Honey Bee Pests, Predators, and Diseases state "No Specific clinical symptoms are connected with N. apis infections." However under field test for nosema in a panel it states "Visual symptoms are not specific but may include bees that are unable to fly, quivering bees, spotting of top bars , bottom board or outside the hive, swollen abdomens, misangled wings,crawling bees."

The latter list of "symptoms" (given under field test) could refer to several other diseases including chronic paralysis virus, acarine disease.

I remain to be convinced that anyone could determine the presence of nosema from an unsharp picture of a single bee.
Ruary

Nah, Ruary, you obviously missed the nosema spore crawling up the hind leg on that bee!! (so did I, so are we both missing something?).

Regards, RAB

Much of beekeeping is instinct or intuition, my instinct tells me that bee is ill, probably bad guts = probably nosema ? Give the bulgarian a chance

mbc,

Unfortunately 'one swallow does not make a summer' is the age old saying. Neither does one bee, like that, make a certain diagnosis. Probably a dead bee at that! Given nothing else is wrong one may draw the conclusion that nosema may be present, but there are so many problems with those frames that it is surprising the colony is still alive, let alone one bee displaying nosema definitively.

RAB

Much of beekeeping is instinct or intuition, my instinct tells me that bee is ill, probably bad guts = probably nosema ? Give the bulgarian a chance

:iagree:

Back