An inspector calls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz lightyear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, the bee inspecter came this morning, to do the random sample. I'd just like to reassure the newer beekeepers that the experiance is not as stressful as you think. they are helpful, polite and knowledgeable. look on it as an exciting opportunity to pick the brains of an expert in a one to one situation, free of charge.

Well done to all you inspectors out there and keep up the good work!

Dave:cheers2:

That's good to know, perhaps everybody should relate their experiences with bee inspectors.

I have only had two encounters with the ministry.

The first was when I was learning the bee keepers ways. He came and inspected my tutors B's. That was really interesting leaning over his shoulder so to speak.

The second was when they gave a talk about bee disease at an association meeting.

So both I have found really useful and interesting.

I have had 2 inspections by our regional inspector because a neighbour had EFB. I really enjoy him coming to inspect, he is so knowledgeable, he explains everything he is doing and answers my sometimes silly questions without a hint of irritablility. I would really like him to move into my spare room and become my best friend :)

Our bee inspector (for Montgomeryshire) is excellent - calm, knowledgeable, pleasant, helpful.
Is really active with the local assoc and always seems to go the extra mile.

He took random samples from me last year - I was happy for him to do it without me being present.

I also had an inspection this week.

As always, the Inspector was really helpful. Went through the hives with me and provided reassurance that things were as I had thought. I find it useful to have the comments of someone who not only knows bees, but has also seen a great many more colonies in my area than I ever will - provides a good point of reference.

Come back soon!

Had my inspection and samples taken for the national survey. Brilliant way of gaining additional info about management of bees, what to look out for in the of disease indicators, and general reassurance about the hives, offering friendly advice where needed. This is particularly beneficial if you are working alone and don't have the benefit of a mentor, even if you do go to all the local BKA meetings. Hands on teaching by an expert is priceless.

Bee Inspectors are government workers - TELL THEM NOTHING!

Busy Bee

Busy Bee

Paranoia or what? :),
I have been under the envelope of 4 different inspectors in my 20 odd years of beekeeping and ne'er a toady amongst them !
All have become my personal friends over the years and I have had the confidence to tell them anything without a shred of malpractice or evidence of Reporting back to any big brother character :svengo:
However ,I've had shed loads of help and advice !!

John Wilkinson

Busy Bee

Hmm, tend to agree but surely they don't go back and gossip to others about number of hives you have, where your apiaries are located and other details.

Is there any evidence to suggest otherwise?

Have to report a positive experience with my random sampling 2 weeks ago - Doug very knowledgeable and free with his advice and time. I've just checked on beebase to see if the bottles of my dead bees showed anything nasty - the record of the visit is there, with a visual all clear but I was expecting something more scientific about nosema etc. Is that all there is or is the lab analysis posted later, if anyone knows?

I can only report positively about my local inspector; I have to, he's on the forum.

Seriously though, loads of friendly advice and he has even taken us on a tour of his commercial operation. Talking to him makes you realise that there is are elements of beekeeping that we tend to miss, when we are worrying about queens mating, extracting honey and overwintering he is looking for bees situated near high risk businesses such as fruit and plant importers and large garden centres. He also needs to be aware not only of beekeepers but also any old abandoned or poorly stored equipment.

I agree that inspectors these days are 'on our side' and helpful. My old guru tells of the days when the inspector was the dour and pedantic 'man from the ministry' including one who insisted that every hive was scorched inside every year as a precaution. :rolleyes:

Busy Bee

If that's not ironic, it's either paranoid or bloody stupid. He's there for the good of your bees and other bees in your area- see every single other post on this thread. I'm very glad I don't keep bees near you- your hives could be a reservoir of disease and apart from repeated outbreaks among your neighbours, no-one would ever know.

i took busy bees comment as fun, im sure in future they will tax your bees in some way as they tax everything else!

I have met the bee inspectors that cover my area at meetings and talks very decent people indeed the only problem is they have not inspected any of my bees to date.

Feeling a bit left on the shelf.

Regional bee inspector (just retired) and seasonal in my association and they are welcome to visit me or my bees anytime they are there to help.

Two inspections in the last 6 years and both occasions were very helpful with lots of useful advice given. I found it reassuring to know that my bees were in good health and there weren't any nasty brood diseases recorded locally.

Latest posts

Back