An embarrassment of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how wide my cedar boards are the UFE’s on my solid floors are 30-50% back from the front.
Future nucs will have a conduit entrance running below the floor to emerge at the centre of the box under the cluster. Much easier for a small nuc to defend.

Yesterday I emptied three traps full. I've resorted to placing syrup some distance away to attract them there. They finished the syrup so quickly! There are hundreds of wasps hanging around the hives
your 'traps' and attempts at distracting them are only serving to attract even more

the others are around 20m away
20 miles might work, but 20 metres is nothing. The vespine equivalent of the golden arches in the distance on a motorway - just a suggestion there may be something more palatable in the same area.

Predictable.
Your only option is to move the colonies 2-3 miles away (hopefully, to an area with fewer wasps) for a month.
You may know a farmer or a friend with a garden. Do it asap or it'll all be over.
If the colony can fit in a nuc box so much the better, for transport and defence.
The good news is that all of my colonies are ok. A few wasps trying their luck, one or two get through but the bees are holding them out. The ones that get through .... I wait a few minutes and see them booted out. When I needed to sort something out in one hive there were one or two dead wasps on the mesh.
In the pic below I've since upgraded them to a UFE with only 2cm open in the 8mm gap.

The other good news is that the robbing was brought under control. The target hive entrance was reduced (also an UFE) and to put an immediate stop we covered the hive with a wet sheet. After two hours the robbers were gone, so I lifted the sheet and observed. No return yesterday or today. I haven't inspected the hive as I assume too much interference not a good thing ... hoping the Q is OK but if not can be sorted in a week or so. Advice appreciated if this is not the right approach.

This particular wasp was "head butted" and gave up.
IMG_4783.jpeg

The other good news is that the robbing was brought under control. The target hive entrance was reduced (also an UFE) and to put an immediate stop we covered the hive with a wet sheet. After two hours the robbers were gone, so I lifted the sheet and observed. No return yesterday or today.
How does the wet sheet work??

The good news is that all of my colonies are ok. A few wasps trying their luck, one or two get through but the bees are holding them out. The ones that get through .... I wait a few minutes and see them booted out. When I needed to sort something out in one hive there were one or two dead wasps on the mesh.
In the pic below I've since upgraded them to a UFE with only 2cm open in the 8mm gap.

The other good news is that the robbing was brought under control. The target hive entrance was reduced (also an UFE) and to put an immediate stop we covered the hive with a wet sheet. After two hours the robbers were gone, so I lifted the sheet and observed. No return yesterday or today. I haven't inspected the hive as I assume too much interference not a good thing ... hoping the Q is OK but if not can be sorted in a week or so. Advice appreciated if this is not the right approach.

This particular wasp was "head butted" and gave up.
View attachment 33132
If you make that entrance block extend all the way back it’s even better protection

How does the wet sheet work??
I read about it in a few places. I don't know if it totally changes the smell and/or adds a physical barrier.
I've just moved it to the other target hive. Didn't wet it though, one or two robbers still trying their luck. Just experimenting to learn.

Predictable.

Your only option is to move the colonies 2-3 miles away (hopefully, to an area with fewer wasps) for a month.

You may know a farmer or a friend with a garden. Do it asap or it'll all be over.

If the colony can fit in a nuc box so much the better, for transport and defence.
Yes they will clear everthing out eggs larvae stores. They are pretty hectic

Latest posts

Back