An appalling criminal act

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
An awful story on the BBC news website of a beekeeper in Cornwall having his hives criminally damaged and losing most of his bees due to a stolen tractor. I hope the scum are caught.

click here for the story

I just read the article online. It seems they targeted the beehives. Stole the tractor, drove over the hives twice and then put the tractor back. Its inconceivable that someone could do such an awful thing intentionally.:mad:

Its inconceivable that someone could do such an awful thing intentionally.

Surely you are not suggesting it was accidental - at two in the morning?

Regards, RAB

Possibly a disgruntled passer-by who got stung and went back later, to get their own back on the bees?

A bit more than just OTT.

The world is always going to have a certain percentage of morons. Unavoidable, as are other minority groups (and the majority, of course). The vast majority keep to the correct side of the law, so it is just that tiny percentage that digress on the legal side and vent their feelings in this way.

RAB

Would investigations be more rigorous if it had been half a dozen, sheep or cattle killed.

Do the police view bees as livestock or insects.

The general population have little idea how iportant bees are to them and the environment.

While we dislike pubs intensely, they are good places to rub shoulders with those who might know who is likely to have done this sort of crime. Somebody must know.

It also shows why beehives should always be out of sight. I don't know if this was the case here but clearly someone found where the hives were, either by observing the beekeeping toing and froing or seeing the hives from a road or path.

I might be wrong, but there is possibley more to this story that is been told?

The fact the tractor was "stolen" and then returned is the main point.

Personal issues rather than the bees directly?

This story made me sick when I heard it last night on the news,they want tying to a tree then throw a angry colony of bees at them.

Would investigations be more rigorous if it had been half a dozen, sheep or cattle killed.

The general population have little idea how iportant bees are to them and the environment.

While we dislike pubs intensely, they are good places to rub shoulders with those who might know who is likely to have done this sort of crime. Somebody must know.

The police investigation will probably be centred on the criminal damage to property (9 hives destroyed with a value of £3500) and taking of a vehicle without owners consent. The type of livestock involved shouldn't really come into it.

'we dislike pubs intensely' I certainly don't. Heart of the community here in the sticks, and a great source for free venison, partridge, trout, veg,crab, eggs etc etc. (as long as you don't ask too many questions)

Thieves don't return stolen tractors unless they want to get caught. A person with a distinct grudge might run down hives without proper thought to the likely consequences of their action, like the police becoming involved and the perceived value suddenly appearing significant. Time to report the tractor stolen.

How many gates to open or unlock, what percentage of people are sufficiently familiar with driving a particular tractor in the dark. Are there any youths involved?

I would start with the tractor . . . and widen the net from there.

a great source for free venison, partridge, trout, veg,crab, eggs etc etc. (as long as you don't ask too many questions)

There are many pubs around here that you can get crabs from but that's another story.

i dont know my girlfreinds sister is banned from clare island because she hotwired and joyrided a massy furguson into a ditch.
you are proberly right tho start at the tractor and find the grudges. hate it when people use animals as wepons against each other.
tim

I was wondering this! most tractors are not just lying around waiting to be borrowed.
IMO watch this space! Plus to be fair down here there is usually a lot more to the story than is told. Grudges set in very easily and after a few too many beers . . . .

I am just so glad that I am allowed to keep my bees in my garden no neighbours and a great landlord.

Last edited:

Totally agree with what you said, how many vandals take anything back to point of origen ?

Latest posts

Back