Amusing questions about your bees......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When going to pick up a nucleus in my early days of beekeeping, my stepfather in law asked how we got them home.
My husband told him they were dehydrated, posted out in a paper bag, emptied into a hive and given water.

He believed him completely! Whether that makes my husband a better liar than I gave him credit for or my stepfather in law more gullible than I thought, you can decide.

Shades of Trump? :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014
SUBJECT: Medical breakthrough

A COUPLE WENT TO THE HOSPITAL TO HAVE THEIR BABY DELIVERED. UPON THEIR
ARRIVAL THE DOCTOR SAID THAT THE HOSPITAL WAS TESTING AN AMAZING NEW
HIGH-TECH MACHINE THAT WOULD TRANSFER A PORTION OF THE MOTHER'S LABOR
PAIN TO THE BABY'S FATHER.
THE DOCTOR ASKED IF THEY WERE INTERESTED. BOTH SAID THEY WERE VERY
MUCH IN FAVOR OF IT.
THE DOCTOR SET THE PAIN TRANSFER TO 10% FOR STARTERS, EXPLAINING THAT
EVEN 10% WAS PROBABLY MORE PAIN THAN THE FATHER HAD EVER EXPERIENCED
BEFORE.
BUT AS THE LABOR PROGRESSED, THE HUSBAND FELT FINE AND ASKED THE
DOCTOR TO GO AHEAD AND KICK IT UP A NOTCH.
THE DOCTOR THEN ADJUSTED THE MACHINE TO 20% PAIN TRANSFER THE HUSBAND
WAS STILL FEELING FINE.
THE DOCTOR THEN CHECKED THE HUSBAND'S BLOOD PRESSURE AND WAS AMAZED AT
HOW WELL HE WAS DOING.
AT THIS POINT THEY DECIDED TO TRY FOR 50%. THE HUSBAND CONTINUED TO
FEEL QUITE WELL.
SINCE THE PAIN TRANSFER WAS OBVIOUSLY HELPING THE WIFE CONSIDERABLY
THE HUSBAND ENCOURAGED THE DOCTOR TO TRANSFER ALL THE PAIN TO HIM.
THE WIFE SUBSEQUENTLY DELIVERED A HEALTHY BABY WITH VIRTUALLY NO PAIN
AND THE HUSBAND CONTINUED TO EXPERIENCE NO PAIN. SHE AND HER HUSBAND
WERE ECSTATIC.
WHEN THEY GOT HOME THEY FOUND THE POSTMAN DEAD ON THE PORCH.

It's only recently that the regulations for honey sales changed to allow for a greater variety of sizes - think 1oz was also acceptable back in the day.

That explains alot.

Define 'recently'
Must admit I wasn't sure, I could just remember them being rolled out so had to google it- it was 2015 so granted a few years ago but its not one of those bits of legislation that received masses of publicity outside the beekeeping community (or even within it!) so those familiar with the old rules may not have been aware that they changed.

Must admit I wasn't sure, I could just remember them being rolled out so had to google it- it was 2015 so granted a few years ago but its not one of those bits of legislation that received masses of publicity outside the beekeeping community (or even within it!) so those familiar with the old rules may not have been aware that they changed.
There is a new set of regulations that come into force regarding labelling on Jan 2021.
Use the Google and type in New honey labelling regulations Brexit and it leads you to the U.K. gov site regarding foodstuff.

GuidanceFood and drink labelling changes from 1 January 2021
How food and drink producers, manufacturers, retailers and suppliers must change labels from 1 January 2021.

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes.

For current information, read: Food labelling and packaging
You can also read about the transition period.

Extract from the Gov.uk site:

Honey blends

If you place honey on the UK market before 1 January 2021, it can stay on the market using the old origin wording (‘blend of EU honeys’, ‘blend of non-EU honeys’ or ‘blend of EU and non-EU honeys’) if the label was accurate.

From 1 January 2021, if you place a blend of honeys from different countries on the UK market you must reflect that UK honey is no longer EU honey.

For example, if a UK honey is blended with an EU honey you cannot continue to use ‘blend of EU honeys’. The label must say ‘blend of EU and non-EU honeys’, ‘blend of honeys from more than one country’, or similar wording.

Extract from the Gov.uk site:

Honey blends

If you place honey on the UK market before 1 January 2021, it can stay on the market using the old origin wording (‘blend of EU honeys’, ‘blend of non-EU honeys’ or ‘blend of EU and non-EU honeys’) if the label was accurate.

From 1 January 2021, if you place a blend of honeys from different countries on the UK market you must reflect that UK honey is no longer EU honey.

For example, if a UK honey is blended with an EU honey you cannot continue to use ‘blend of EU honeys’. The label must say ‘blend of EU and non-EU honeys’, ‘blend of honeys from more than one country’, or similar wording.
A friend in Fife has been telling me that some are blending 30% local honey from Fife with 70% Polish honey and labelling it as Local Honey.
Is this honey laundering?

There is a new set of regulations that come into force regarding labelling on Jan 2021.
Use the Google and type in New honey labelling regulations Brexit and it leads you to the U.K. gov site regarding foodstuff.

How food and drink producers, manufacturers, retailers and suppliers must change labels from 1 January 2021.

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes.

Only if you are selling outside of the UK, I think it all looks the same as before for the regulations on labelling unless you are using the EU logo anywhere...

What an unsurprising opportunity for the word twisting tricksters and advertising misdirects and the fake it if you cant make it brigade to once more rip off Jo Public.

The above is an indictment of our education system!!!
The mind boggles!
Yes all of it is. I went to a private nursery school to collect a swarm years ago and the head was most embarrassed to find out they were honey bees as she had been telling the parents they were wasps. With hindsight why did they call me? My local primary school though has kids that keep you on your toes!

Someone in our village once asked me to rehome some bees (not honey obviously) from his bird box. My standard advice was to just leave them. He said he did not want bees in his garden in case his kids got stung. a) I was tempted to state that he needed to dig everything up then and block pave the whole lot but I put it a bit kinder. b) I happen to know his kids are the same age as mine ie, not kids now at all. He didn't mention either of them was allergic so I don't think that was the issue.

I've often had the 'you make lovely honey' statement as well.

Latest posts

Back