Amount of swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
How is everyone doing for collecting swarms this season?

Our registered swarm catchers for our association are baffled at only having one call for a honey bee swarm and only one or two calls for bumblebees.
I've only had a couple of calls myself for honey bee swarms and about five calls for bumblebees.

My first year beekeeping and caught 1 swarm within 2 weeks of putting box up.... took my boxes down after that as I’m concentrating on my double brood hive and the 1 swarm.... enough for me this year....

I took some brood boxes back home after woodpecker attacked them, waiting to sort out have had tree swarms in them the last one in a queen castle which I brought back as stand by

Not known to have lost any.

Caught a few. Caught my easiest ever on Sunday. It was lying on the gravel of a private road, with the queen sat on top.

Good year so far, and all stayed put.
2 in central Manchester
2 in bait hives- same one twice
2 in garden- one from one of my nucs
1 flew into to an out-apiary.

2 calls for definite honey bees that I was not available to collect.

One from the hedge near my hives.
No QC in my hives and the bees are more yellow, so dont think that they are mine.

Very few calls in southern Hampshire and lots of people on the list for a swarm

Pretty busy with swarm calls in the West Glamorgan area. But why the hand wringing - the less calls the better IMHO, they're a nuisance and more trouble and expense than it's worth, they seldom turn out to be good unless you fork out and requeen.

If the bush telephone is to believed then 50% of colonies may have not made it to spring this year. Could that be a reason for not many swarms?

Here on the Sussex/Surrey/Hants border I've had 10 calls from various sources for swarms and have picked up another 3 swarms in bait hives.
I wasn't on the swarm collectors list last year so don't know if that is normal or not. I did however pick up 7 swarms in bait hives last year.

Really quiet .. I've had 4 calls so far this year as opposed to 12 last year and 18 the year before.
3 swarms, 2 of which moved on before I could get to them and 1 which I refered to another collector as I was at work.
The other one is for a cut out in a tree which I'm trying to progress.. when I can find a tree surgeon that doesn't run a mile a the mention of bees (it's not my tree and the guy has been served with an enforcement notice to remove it).
I've also picked up 2 just by having empty hives next to my workshop..

A friend and i got
2 in the same spot in a empty brood box
3 removed from roofs of houses
3 from Apple trees
1 from apex of high gable on house
1 from a beech tree
Its been a busy few days
Great fun

Our local association appear to be catching quite a few in bait hives this year in locations that they don't keep their own colonies in. I don't know if that's a reflection on us putting out more bait hives this year or not, we don't keep those type of records.

I would imagine that after such an evil spring feral colonies have probably taken a massive hit and so reduced swarms from them which probably make up the vast majority of swarm events.

Not had a single scout sniffing my bait hives this year.

Cheers, Mick.

I’ve had no success in my 2 bait hives.
However hope someone took my swarm in. First year and learning fast I messed up and lost my fantastic 2017 marked Buckfast Q. One of her daughters is doing fine and another one of her daughters is a couple of weeks behind so fingers crossed she picks up a bit.

Caught 1 from 5 bait hives that would normally catch 2-5 each .
Only 1 call that was actually for honeybees.
Only 5 out of 64 of mine have tried and 4 of them were my fault ( caught out by how heavy the flow was in May).
It's definitely been quiet , but don't count your chickens!

South East Essex

Very slow here even through our association. 2-3 calls a week compared to up to 5 a day in the past. Last year was very slow as well. We have beginners from 2 years back still waitng to be allocated a swarm.

I've noticed at both my aparies and a friend's locally that there seem to be much fewer drones than usual.

Latest posts

Back