Ammonium Nitrate? Why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have just come across this page after reading another thread. I have never come across this in anything I've read. Do people use it over here, or is it just for places that have very aggressive types of bee? http://translate.google.com/transla...eda.com/index.htm&rurl=translate.google.co.uk

Sorry, the link only takes you to the main page. Go to the mini nucleos at the bottom, then you will find it half way down the page, next to the marking pens.

Add another ingredient or two, you have one of the favourite bomb mixes used by Irish bombers -that'll sort out feisty bees!
And for a REALLY big bang, go for a "mini nuke":biggrinjester:

Add another ingredient or two, you have one of the favourite bomb mixes used by Irish bombers -that'll sort out feisty bees!
And for a REALLY big bang, go for a "mini nuke":biggrinjester:

That would teach them not to bounce off my veil.....have you ever heard of it being used in bee keeping?

Well....... according to Google translate.......it's to make laughing gas, to numb the bees while you "do things" to them........ - they suggest it's wonderful for pretty much any use, then almost as an afterthought mention that the effective and lethal doses are pretty similar..........

(I think the explosive solutions would be FAR safer):biggrinjester:

while you " do things " to them? What sort of things? hee hee......laughing bees

From catching swarms, to combining colonies, swapping queens etc (or killing them if you get it the teensiest bit wrong.......)

Just set fire to your hive (charcoal), add a bit of sulphur and you're away...

1/2 teaspoon of ammonium nitrate in a well lit, hot smoker to knock out a hot colony. The burning ammonium nitrate produces nitrous oxide & knocks out the colony for a while. They dont come round for around 20 mins

Yes i guess it would be useful in some circumstances MM .

Job to avoid the stuff really,millions of tons of it spread over the land in agricuture,used in food and aerosols ect,plus of course mixed with diesel and detonators for other applications.

Yes i guess it would be useful in some circumstances MM .

Job to avoid the stuff really,millions of tons of it spread over the land in agricuture,used in food and aerosols ect,plus of course mixed with diesel and detonators for other applications.

yes got very close twice to a mix of it with diesel, once at Arnos Grove tube station car park very near where i live and another time a small amount mixed with semtex in Tottenham lane ,hornsey, blew out all my office windows early morning

Bit like manure really, best to ensure you get stable manure, the unstable stuff keeps exploding in the rose beds.........:biggrinjester:

if you want a small can of an anaesthetic go buy a can of EAST START from halfords as its main ingreediant is ether a quick squirt and they would be out cold, just remember ether and any form of spark equals a boom to match the nitrates bomb you might have started with

Just remember that butterfly collectors used to use ether in their killing jars, so maybe you would need to be careful.

Carbon dioxide will do the job, but shortens their life slightly and chloroform is difficult to get hold of.

In the tropics you kept ether in the fridge. It was entirely possible to open a killing jar and have it explode/flash over due to the heat of the day.

I used to use Ether as a glue for making perspex box's.

I have also seen it used as an anaesthetic using a dropper onto a mask with muslin.

cyclopropane was the one that used to make me flinch when someone would scrape metal against metal around it,many a hospital was blown up with the stuff years ago.

Latest posts

Back