Amm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it.....

AMM not right

Busy Bee

Amm from the place in greece could be a bit like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates,ya never know what your gonna get.

They dont look like AMM on that wbsite,more like Carnie x local mongrel.

I don't know much about it as most know but have a look at the Morphometry tab on his website. something about the wings.

bees.me is in East Sussex, is that really a hot spot for amm?

Hi

Say's on the site he is all sold out fortunately:beatdeadhorse5:

I think Bickerstaff's would be F1 in other words larvae taken from a pure MM queen then open mated as are the rest of their queens, and nothing wrong with that as long as you know what you are getting.

Regards Ian

Last edited:
Here we go again bloody Apis mm why cant beekeepers be satisfied with what they have or in the case of beginners what they can get and rear your own queens to the characteristics that you like in a colony of bees. IMO Apis mm is a bygone race of bee.
If every one wants Apis mm then why have they not been bread in sufficient quantities to meet demand?

Regards;

Local mongrels 4 teh win.

Well Bcrazy some of us rather like them.

You though located as South as you are probably have never met one.

I was interested today so read that there was an EU project into AMM DNA and that appears to say that they were found alive and well in the UK.

I found them to have a lot of excellent qualities, including the most lovely pearl white cappings on Heather honey, small brood nest, supercedure of queens and low swarming, late start on brooding in Spring, and no brooding in mid winter. Oh yes and great comb honey bees.

So all in all a very useful bee.

Oh and in inclement weather guess who was out working whilst the yellow bees sat twiddling their thumbs?

PH

Last edited:
Hi PH
Yes I do understand that there are members who would like this race of honey bee, so why are they not available as Apis mm to the beekeeping community? If they are so sought after why is there no outlet for them?
Can you as an avid beekeeper who promotes Apis mm explain why they are not available commercially?

Regards;

Because they tend to be found in the north in small numbers now sadly, and there is not the will or the ability to produce them.

I don't know if they were ever produced commercially but they certainly suited the harsher climate I worked in.

I used to on a small scale, selling 20 odd queens a year.

Do not dismiss them lightly though they area good bee and given the choice between Carnies and a good AMM for me it's a no brainer.

PH

Latest posts

Back