Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm lost with it, I thought the main problem with none amm bees was the very large brood and reluctance to slow down to suit our maritime climate (like aml being adapted to long summers and laying lots of brood to take advantage of their climate) so forinstance amm holding up in a cold spell and not producing lots of hungry brood with no income. I've heard amm will out crop anything else when measured over a decade as this accounts for poor summers bad springs ect. I thought for the reasons above everything but amm struggle to survive in the wild hear. Well done on 6 supers though!
I keep orange grey and black bees. The orange and grey ones far far outperform the black ones in a good year but in a bad year the black ones do bring in honey when the others don’t. It’s win win for me. I always get a decent crop.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a couple of colonies sans QX. I don’t replace super frames that have been laid in and neither does Philip I’m sure.
When the brood nest contracts at the end of summer those frames are full of honey and are extracted with the rest
As far as eating a big chunk of their honey it is theirs after all.
Yep ... exactly that ....

Latest posts