american foulbrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismourgos

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello I am a beginner in beekeeping. Should I use teramicin to prevent the problem before it appears by way of precaution or when the bees sicken ?
But will the antibiotic cause problems to the honey?

Hi Kris, I'm a beginner too, but if you want to learn, you've come to the right place :)

Doesn't this treatment have to be given by the bee inspector? I thought it had to be used by someone qualified as it's a POM. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us.

There is no facility for this. Destruction of the colony on confirmation of the disease is the order. AFB is a notifiable disease and the inspectorate must be alerted if suspected.

RAB

Is it EFB then that can be treated with antibiotics? I think, if I remember rightly it was an FB ;) Also, that the bee inspector has to do it, or someone similarly qualified, not doing it yourself?

EFB, too, is a notifiable disease.

I am suspecting the OP has not given an accurate profile, but we can only go on the information supplied...

RAB

Both AFB and EFB are 'notifiable' diseases, in as much as they have to by law be reported to a Government Inspector.

The Government Inspector advises on how to deal with these diseases, and in the case of EFB that might involve the use of an antibiotic. But not with AFB. Colonies with AFB are destroyed.

A beekeeper treating his/her colonies with antibiotic and without the involvement of a Government Inspector in the UK might be in breach of the law.

Last edited:
Both AFB and EFB are 'notifiable' diseases, in as much as they have to by law be reported to a Government Inspector.

The Government Inspector advises on how to deal with these diseases, and in the case of EFB that might involve the use of an antibiotic. But not with AFB. Colonies with AFB are destroyed.

A beekeeper treating his/her colonies with antibiotic and without the involvement of a Government Inspector in the UK might be in breach of the law.

That's what I was thinking of. I remember someone posting a link to an EFB advice page. I remember it saying with moderate infection, the use of antibiotics could be prescribed but only by the inspector, and he/ she would have to do the treating. There would be a restriction on the use of the honey after that, for 6mths if my memory serves ( which it rarely does ;) )

Hello I am a beginner in beekeeping. Should I use teramicin to prevent the problem before it appears by way of precaution or when the bees sicken ?
But will the antibiotic cause problems to the honey?

Why? would anyone who knows anything about anything want to use antibiotics for anything not yet diagnosed????

Even if it was legally possible in this country which with AFB it isnt.

Overuse of antibiotics has caused problems for years, resistence to the said antibiotics and gut issues amingst others.

Sorry to be blunt but I had to ask.

Di.

Why? would anyone who knows anything about anything want to use antibiotics for anything not yet diagnosed????

Even if it was legally possible in this country which with AFB it isnt.

Overuse of antibiotics has caused problems for years, resistence to the said antibiotics and gut issues amingst others.

Sorry to be blunt but I had to ask.

Di.

Many beekeepers use Fumidil B (antibiotic) routinely, regardless of whether any nosema diagnosis has been done.

I did use Fumidil B in Autumn feed for a couple of years (because I had Nosema in the apiary that would no go away) before I read the links Finman and Hivemaker posted showing that thymol in Autumn syrup is very effective against Nosema - probably more effective than Fumidil was what I understood.

There is a sticky on here about Autumn feeding. This year no Fumidil B again.

With which a "News of the Screws" type journalist could have a field day....
(I'll leave the lurid headlines to your imagination)

To blanket bomb ANY living thing "on the off chance it may help" with chemical nostrums is barking mad - it's why we have things like MRSA and "superbugs", and why, when antibiotics are needed to save a life, they don't work, because of over use..............

Many beekeepers use Fumidil B (antibiotic) routinely, regardless of whether any nosema diagnosis has been done.

Well, there are different classes of antibiotic compond. Fumidil is an antibiotic salt. If you want to stretch the term 'antibiotic', so is thymol when added to syrup, and so is bleach for those people who add that to syrup.

Oh, Oh!! An american here read this thread.

In this county it is recommended (by many) that TM be feed to prevent AFB and EFB. Commercial beeks here use TYlan in powder sugar and AFB does not rear its ugly head. Im not saying this is the right way, just an example.

Now, I am unfamiliar with this concept of feeding thymol in syrup to deal with nosema. Would someone be kind enough to provide a link to some information on this. There is growing evidence that essential oils can combat nosema with the use of Honey B Healthy and studies are supposed to be complete come spring of 2011 to prove or discredit this idea.

Latest posts

Back