Am I mad to think of a long hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As title suggests. For a complete newbie and a first hive is this a bad idea?
Don’t know why but I like the look of them, their simplicity and design.

Not necessarily a bad idea. However as you are a complete novice you might want/wish for/ need hands on help. How many local to you beekeepers manage long hives ? how many use standard (BSNational) or (Langstroth) or other vertical formats of hives? Where does their expertise lie? It would be wise to follow Newbeeneil's suggestion.

I agree with above, I started off with Nationals, which are still my main hive. After a couple of years I got a Warre then Kenyan top bar, then a long hive. Glad I had the experience of a standard approach first, but if you want to go straight into long hive format give it a go, but you will need more advice from those experienced in using them

No ... I started with my own long deep hive ... they are great to work with and as long as you make it to a standard frame size and it's well insulated there is nothing to dislike about them. They are not great for honey production by comparison to a conventional vertical hive but you will get a few frames of honey out if it. Swarm management is easy because you can just divide the hive ... I'll put a link to mine up later... if you like the idea don't be put off by the nay sayers who have not previously worked with long hives - they have some drawbacks ... not easily moved and working them with supers is not as easy but the bees love them and get the height right and inspections don't involve lifting...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99514363@N06/albums/72157634865981506

Last edited:
As title suggests. For a complete newbie and a first hive is this a bad idea?
Don’t know why but I like the look of them, their simplicity and design.

As long as you choose one that uses National frames (or 14x12 I guess), to allow you to easily source bees locally (and sell bees locally too in future!), sure. I intend to try a Hyde Hives national hive at some point, though it's not a cheap way to keep bees!

I like my Dartingtons, even though they are not in use now. No problem with stacking shallows on top in the summer, if you don’t want to go ‘long’. Superb for over-wintering if the colony is suitably isolated towards the mid-section with no top ventilation (but with access to the entrance, of course).

Good for ‘horizontal demaree-ing’ for increase. I didn’t dislike extracting 14 x 12 frames, either.

Some like them and others don’t. Far better than the ‘omlette’ plastic version - I’ve never really used mine.

RAB

I am a beekeeper in waiting as I had to delay getting bees pending approval from the allotment committee. However, I have bought a (short) long hive from Hyde Hives. When I have told experienced beekeepers of my purchase, comments have ranged from ‘exciting’ to ‘controversial’ to undisguised looks of disapproval. There is so much to learn, but a long hive seems like a good place to start to me. Can’t wait!

The perfect approach, it’s your hobby no one else can own it, enjoy it as the fantastic hobby that it is (y)

For general help I would say buddy up with a beekeeper who understands bees and is not judgmental, select the advice you want to use and learn by the same mistakes we all make :D (y)

I have started with a Hyde Long Hive and absolutely love it. It's based on the National format and my girls seem to love it, the only thing that came to light is the girls don't like going through the Queen excluder, so removed it and the girls manage the frames themselves, it my first season and definitely have no regrets o the long hive, I've had all sorts of negative comment's but stuck with what I wanted 👍🐝

I am a beekeeper in waiting as I had to delay getting bees pending approval from the allotment committee. However, I have bought a (short) long hive from Hyde Hives. When I have told experienced beekeepers of my purchase, comments have ranged from ‘exciting’ to ‘controversial’ to undisguised looks of disapproval. There is so much to learn, but a long hive seems like a good place to start to me. Can’t wait!
Their hives are indeed a work of art. They made me a barn owl box.

Just wanted to echo what people have said about choosing your help wisely!
I have several horror stories from friends who asked 'experienced' conventional hive keepers for help!
Find a mentor who has experience or is at least sympathetic to the system.
Square pegs don't fit in round roles unless you roger them completely! :D

Latest posts

Back