Aluminium Roof Sheets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have always made my own hives. I make them with insulated gabled roofs covered with Aluminium. I have been purchasing 10 sheets (60cmX70cm) from a metal supplier for between £100 and £120 depending on mrket costs. Having seen suggestions for printers aluminium sheets on this site I decided to ring round local print works. After several unsuccessful calls I found a company, local to where I work, that sold me 10 sheets for £60 in beer vouchers. The sheets are larger than my normal ones and I have calculated that I will get one hive roof sheet from each plus a NUC box roof or half a roof from the offcut.
If anyone is building or refurbishing a hive this is a cheap and easy source of roofing material. Much lighter than felt and very easy to bend and cut.

:party:

I got 10 sheets for 'some honey' although I haven't honoured that part of the deal yet I'll be visiting them soon.

They wouldn't take any money - they just scrap them after use so I guess the scrap value of the sheets can't be much.

thanks for this. I have been looking for roofing material suppliers and am currently using felt. I will be making some phone call. thanks

ok. so what are printers aluminium sheets and what type of printers are we talking about? is that people who print flyers or that sort of thing?

Your looking for a litho printer, the sheets are actually the plates used for printing. Without getting technical you need a printer that prints larger than A3 otherwise you will not get the size. I ''left work'' with a supply of B1 plates, these will give two national roofs. They are easy to cut and manipulate and the results are good.

Pete

thanks Pete. that helps a lot.

Wakefield Jim.

Got some off cuts of zinc-coated steel cut to size on Saturday past. Material for 7 roofs cost me £10.00. Lesson = go and look in the scrap pile of someone who erects agricultural and industrial sheds.

Back