Alternative to wasp traps - maybe?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have just seen this advertised on the site below and thought it would be great it the apiary.
I would not stop using wasp traps, but this would complement them well, if it works.

Rather than buy one, I shall try making one first, as it is only looks like a grey coloured cloth bag. I guess the bag could be filled with straw. The link is below ...

http://www.naturalcollection.com/products/waspinator/waspinator-twin-pack/

Well I look around the house for some suitable material and gave up on the idea of making one. I have now purchased a twin pack, so fingers crossed it works in the apiary :)

Simple to make and effective ,
If you form a ball out of wire netting, pull one loop out (for hanging purposes),
cover this frame with papier-mache paint with matt emulsion paint, It doesn't require any great artistic skill to create a realistic looking wasps nest :) Use dull colours dirty browny greys etc.
Wasps being territorial will avoid the area like the plague (I would think using in conjuction with wasp traps would be counter productive as the object is to deter the wasp not to encourage it ?.

Thanks for the advise VM, I shall give your suggestion a try, have not used papier-mache since I was knee high to a buttercup. I will place the wasp traps elsewhere on my allotment.

Many thanks, Mike. :cheers2:

So one persumes that an old used wasp nest might work as well? Sometimes you come across them and rather than just wondering about their craftsmanship could we put them to a practical use?

Good idea Geoff, just need to ensure that the old nest is placed in a fairly dry location. I am thinking of placing my fake wasp nests under one of the hives, dry but easy for other wasps to see.

How effective are these things? Anyone else tried them or something like? I might do as v.m. suggested and try making one out of papier mache, but over a ballon instead of wire.

I once tried to preserve a wasps nest by spraying with clear varnish, the idea being to then cut out a segment to display the internal engineering, I found it too fragile.
Maybe I should have sprayed it internally through the entrance hole to fix it inside and out ?. Eventually it just disintegrated and became a pile of saw dust :(.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back