Alternative to boiling infested frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchu

House Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method.

What’s the best alternatives to the boiling method? Wondering if I cleaned them with warm water & washing soda first and then scorched them I would achieve the same sanitising effect?

Thanks in advance

Bonfire
Cillit Bang or bleach for the poly nuc
Thanks
So just to clarify, please - by bonfire you mean destroying them and not just scorching. I wouldn’t reuse the drawn combs but thought that the frames could still be used

Last edited:
Unless you strip the frames down to their separate parts there is no way of getting into all the joints probably not worth it.

A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method.

What’s the best alternatives to the boiling method? Wondering if I cleaned them with warm water & washing soda first and then scorched them I would achieve the same sanitising effect?

Thanks in advance
How do you spot a " bit of nosema" ?

How do you spot a " bit of nosema" ?
Bee defecation on the face of only one of the frames so I’m assuming it could have been nosema but didn’t get it tested as they died before my following inspection

So if the colony was vey weak, had a bit of sac brood and possibly no nosema, what’s the reason behind the recommendation of burning the frames to ash?

So if the colony was vey weak, had a bit of sac brood and possibly no nosema, what’s the reason behind the recommendation of burning the frames to ash?
Probably what you said in your opening post " A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method."

If it was as you suggested Nosema and Sac brood and the colony died as a result then burning a few frames and replacing them with new - coupled with Cillit Bang on the box - sensible solution.

If you didn't test and it was only one frame with a bit of poo on one side - different ball park.

Burning it all is good practice because it prevents access to dodgy comb by other pollinators, and as you're unsure of the disease status of the colony, it's better to be certain.

In addition, the value of five combs is nominal and the bother of saving them is not worth the effort; if you had 200, chopping out combs and boiling frames might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Burn them and give all your hives a drink of syrup with thymol and lemongrass added. If you don't want to mix your own use hive alive

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure! Sorry, I'll get my coat.........
I shouldn't laugh ... but there are a few beekeepers which the planet would be better off without and their bees would probably be happier as well ... Not the OP though - he's got time to learn.

Sorry tchu, I was quoting a scene from 'Aliens' it is my wife's favourite film.

No, it does not sound like foul brood but it is better to be safe than sorry and burn the frames and then start again with fresh frames and foundation.

[
Burn them and give all your hives a drink of syrup with thymol and lemongrass added. If you don't want to mix your own use hive alive
Thanks; is this to help with sac brood?

[
Thanks; is this to help with sac brood?
No, thymol helps clear nosema, but it shouldn't be much of a problem at this time of the year anyway.
Lemongrass? I don't know, make the hive smell nice? cobble up a quick Thai curry?

Latest posts

Back