Alternative to boiling infested frames?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

tchu 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method.

What’s the best alternatives to the boiling method? Wondering if I cleaned them with warm water & washing soda first and then scorched them I would achieve the same sanitising effect?

Thanks in advance

tchu 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Bonfire
Cillit Bang or bleach for the poly nuc
Thanks
So just to clarify, please - by bonfire you mean destroying them and not just scorching. I wouldn’t reuse the drawn combs but thought that the frames could still be used

Last edited:

philipm 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
Unless you strip the frames down to their separate parts there is no way of getting into all the joints probably not worth it.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Yes. Incinerate the lot snd start again

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method.

What’s the best alternatives to the boiling method? Wondering if I cleaned them with warm water & washing soda first and then scorched them I would achieve the same sanitising effect?

Thanks in advance
How do you spot a " bit of nosema" ?

tchu 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
How do you spot a " bit of nosema" ?
Bee defecation on the face of only one of the frames so I’m assuming it could have been nosema but didn’t get it tested as they died before my following inspection

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Defecation on one frame suggests a weak and failing colony rather than Nosema, which is a mess over the inside of the hive, top bars, combs, etc.

tchu 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
So if the colony was vey weak, had a bit of sac brood and possibly no nosema, what’s the reason behind the recommendation of burning the frames to ash?

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So if the colony was vey weak, had a bit of sac brood and possibly no nosema, what’s the reason behind the recommendation of burning the frames to ash?
Probably what you said in your opening post " A colony in my poly nuc died and I spotted a bit of nosema and sac brood. Practically It would be virtually impossible for me to do the boiling method."

If it was as you suggested Nosema and Sac brood and the colony died as a result then burning a few frames and replacing them with new - coupled with Cillit Bang on the box - sensible solution.

If you didn't test and it was only one frame with a bit of poo on one side - different ball park.

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Burning it all is good practice because it prevents access to dodgy comb by other pollinators, and as you're unsure of the disease status of the colony, it's better to be certain.

In addition, the value of five combs is nominal and the bother of saving them is not worth the effort; if you had 200, chopping out combs and boiling frames might be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Worker bee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Burn them and give all your hives a drink of syrup with thymol and lemongrass added. If you don't want to mix your own use hive alive

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure! Sorry, I'll get my coat.........
I shouldn't laugh ... but there are a few beekeepers which the planet would be better off without and their bees would probably be happier as well ... Not the OP though - he's got time to learn.

tonyofarr 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sorry tchu, I was quoting a scene from 'Aliens' it is my wife's favourite film.

No, it does not sound like foul brood but it is better to be safe than sorry and burn the frames and then start again with fresh frames and foundation.

tchu 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
[
Burn them and give all your hives a drink of syrup with thymol and lemongrass added. If you don't want to mix your own use hive alive
Thanks; is this to help with sac brood?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
[
Thanks; is this to help with sac brood?
No, thymol helps clear nosema, but it shouldn't be much of a problem at this time of the year anyway.
Lemongrass? I don't know, make the hive smell nice? cobble up a quick Thai curry?