Alternative insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pips

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have been reading on the forum about insulating the roof over winter with (I want to say Semtex, but maybe cemex?!) is there something I can use instead as apparently this is super pricey? Would bubble wrap work? Also... How small should the entrance be reduced to?

Oohh... And I've just seem I've been promoted to house bee! :):):):ot:

Celotex is what I think you mean. Anyway the best place to buy this stuff is at a builders merchant that stock it. There are a few versions of the same stuff under various names but it is the same stuff. One is Kingspan but that is the expensive variety. (seems the same stuff to me)
If you go to B and q ( or indeed any other DIY superstore {legal crap}) then you will pay through the nose for it, so stick to shopping around the builders merchants and you will find that is it very cheap from them. Hope this helps

Look around for some building sites and ask them if they have ant cut offs .. I found a site with about 10 pieces 600 x 600 in a skip last year and the builders just said 'take what you want ... it's going to save it from the tip !'. Cost ... nothing ...

You can also sometimes get lucky on ebay ... This is too far away from you but you get the idea:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kingspan-...649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259676e2c1

Look on gumtree, I just bought off cuts that will do 24 hives for £20

QUOTE=REDWOOD;443614]Look on gumtree, I just bought off cuts that will do 24 hives for £20[/QUOTE]

Just after I took delivery of two sheets from my local merchants :banghead: luckily i have two trade accounts :D but I mistakenly put them on the account with less discounts :banghead:

i have seen a super with the insulation being cushions loosely filled with poly beads , The user likes them as you can snuggle the cushion around a feeder or fondant, sort of inverted mini bean bag ,

i prefer the u value of Celotex though

hi
and if you can get some from a building site skip, don't worry if its not the right size you can tape it to make any size you want so don't dismiss it because its too small empty the skip good hunting

Thank you. Ok, am getting the idea: no substitutes! Will see if I can chat up some builders!

Hmmm..but the link itma has posted suggests is quite cheap!

Old carpet cut into squares and placed in layers on the crownboard works well (carpet side down).

I used rubble sacks filled with straw to insulate a plywood nuc placed inside a WBC last winter.

Old carpet cut into squares and placed in layers on the crownboard works well (carpet side down).

I used rubble sacks filled with straw to insulate a plywood nuc placed inside a WBC last winter.

Carpet tends to absorb damp and as such any (and there are not many) insulation properties are negated when it's wet, it's also prone to mildew which can't be good. I know the BBKA are recommending old carpet for 'insulation' but what do they know about modern beekeeping ?

Rubble sacks or even poly bags filled with anything that does not conduct heat easily will do ... But ... if you want to do the job properly, in my estimation, there is NOTHING that beats Kingspan/Celotex/Reticel/Ecotherm etc. and it's so readily available it really is a no brainer ...

If you must use carpet then seal it in a poly bag to keep it dry.

Last edited:
Anybody within travelling distance of Okehampton may like to search for L J T
Cladco on the web. They sell seconds of celotex in most thicknesses, they won't deliver though as the value isn't high enough to justify it.

I've no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Tim.

Thank you. Ok, am getting the idea: no substitutes! Will see if I can chat up some builders!

Just noticed your 'avatar' says female. May be advantage in charming the builders. I on the other hand would fail. I don't think I've got the looks! LOl:spy:

Carpet tends to absorb damp and as such any (and there are not many) insulation properties are negated when it's wet, it's also prone to mildew which can't be good. I know the BBKA are recommending old carpet for 'insulation' but what do they know about modern beekeeping ?

Rubble sacks or even poly bags filled with anything that does not conduct heat easily will do ... But ... if you want to do the job properly, in my estimation, there is NOTHING that beats Kingspan/Celotex/Reticel/Ecotherm etc. and it's so readily available it really is a no brainer ...

If you must use carpet then seal it in a poly bag to keep it dry.

I've used nylon type carpet (not wool) for nearly 10 years and have never had mildew or damp. Just make sure the roof is well fitted and ventilated.

We use cedar wood shavings for insulation above the quad boxes, about ten inches deep, topped by an insulated roof with no vents, stays nice a dry.

Latest posts

Back