Alternative food sources and the effects they have on our bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy calculates natural pollen to be about 9.1% protein

DeGroot has done Basic researches already 1953 in Germany. Randy does not have much to say to that.

Randy calculates wrong. Few beepollen has so low raw protein as 9%. Beehive needs on average 20% raw protein to feed its larvae well.

Randy has compared industrial protein products to each other, but he does not have nothing new to say to old knowledge.

1977 USA made first comparisions about protein paties.

Australia has good new reseaches about pollen and about patty feeding.

Aminoacid content research is very expencive. That is why data is so few.

Last edited:
Quick google would suggest pollen is actually ~22% protein, wonder how he got such a low figure for his study.

But does it work?
Bakers / Brewers yeast = ave 40% to 56% protein... Brewers yeast usually on the higher side....

I believe yes,,,, If they have all the other required vitamins and minerals.... + nectar...
Im not saying its a replacement for pollen..... but it helps in times of need.... The bees seem to be able to produce Bee bread from this and brood production increases.

Life span of above brood bees - shorter/longer?
All I can say is the health looks good and they get down to business and help a colony in need...

You may move the hives to better place. Or do not move to the desert.

Well Mr Finman, I wish I was as fortunate as you.... keep bees wrapped up safe for perhaps 8 months of the year and allow them to naturally forage for the remaining 4 on perfect or pristine forests of natural flowers etc etc... The world you live in must truly be an awesome one!
Pick your hives up and simply move them! Avoid Deserts!
Just wave that magic wand! - Now I understand why some folk here talk of forest fairies in your neck of the woods...

I have to deal with constant bush fires (Not many forests any more) in the blink of an eye, entire mountains are burnt in hours.... My bees are left to fly over ashes!
Flash floods rip the only flourishing plants along with the remainder of the top soil within minutes, the only thing of colour left is plastic packets and litter.
Droughts of biblical proportions.... I wont even go down this road....
And this is an average season for us...

Here in Africa - todays Eden can be tomorrows Hell....

I do what I must to assist....

Well Mr Finman, I wish I was as fortunate as you....

Just wave that magic wand! - Now I understand why some folk here talk of forest fairies in your neck of the woods...

We do not have forest fairies here. Only bears, who break hives.
Fairies are totally British innovation. No one here has seen fairies.

My apologies, Im from Africa. I dont know any better! I have however heard of the British exaggeration (Rugby world cup and such) ..
Perhaps not Fairies then.... Maybe trolls, gnomes or pixies? - Uncertain ??? I truly dont know who waves the wand in your forest? Sorry...
As far as bears are concerned,,, I can only wish this was the only problem I have.... I saw an Auzzie program on those cute things that climb gum trees...
Kuala or something! Damn Cute things those bears are.... So fluffy.

.... Maybe trolls, gnomes or pixies? - Uncertain

Trolls are in Norway. They their National threasure.

Pixies are in South England.

We have garden gnomes made in China.

President Trump have not noticed, that garden gnomes may spy western Attach files.

Last edited:
In Finland there isn't that much written knowledge about fairies ~ but there are lots of elves, there's the kotitonttu and joulutonttu's for starters – is there a beehive tonttu I wonder?

In Finland there isn't that much written knowledge about fairies ~ but there are lots of elves, there's the kotitonttu and joulutonttu's for starters – is there a beehive tonttu I wonder?
Perhaps. If Someone is a little bit stupid, we say "you tonttu"

Back