Alternative Floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi, I have seen pictures of a omf that has a 8mm slot in the back that the bees climb up into the hive, does anyone have the plans or drawings for this floor and are they any good ?

Are you thinking of building a Dartington? Plans are still available from the developer of the hive.

Two questions - what's the minimum/maximum gauge or whole size for the mesh in an OMF, and has anyone in UK/Ire tried that underfloor entrance & had any problems with it?

p.s. cheers for the link to the plans

Two questions - what's the minimum/maximum gauge or whole size for the mesh in an OMF, and has anyone in UK/Ire tried that underfloor entrance & had any problems with it?

p.s. cheers for the link to the plans

All my floors are this design and i've had no problems - i use an 8 or 9mm drill bit to size the slot - dispensing the need for a mouse guard
here are Graham White's plans :

http://www.edinburghbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf

I use 4x2 planed for the side rails (you could bring them down to about 4x1 1/2 if you have a thicknesser. and 3x1 for the under floor batten - 4x1 for the rest:)

Hi, I have seen pictures of a omf that has a 8mm slot in the back that the bees climb up into the hive, does anyone have the plans or drawings for this floor and are they any good ?

The slot is at the front... that's pretty much what defines it as the front! :)

"what's the minimum/maximum gauge or whole size for the mesh in an OMF,"

bigger than a varroa mite; smaller than a bee, wasp, hornet or mouse.

...smaller than a ...wasp...

Ichneumon or vespid?

I asked about hole size because I've got an OMF on each of my hives but one is constantly getting propolised/clogged up and the other isn't - just wondered if gauge or materials were anything to do with it.

Last edited:
It's known as a Kewl floor.
The mesh is #8 mesh. JT Wirecloth for Stainless, or Beehive Bits for expanded zinc plated mild steel. Expanded aluminium should be good too.
I use a couple of hexagonal sectioned pencils to define the size of the slot and have played around with various configurations of the entrance chute and landing board, with more standardisation to come in 2012.

I call my floors Kewl type. Similarly my boxes are 14x12 NS type. :)

Two questions - what's the minimum/maximum gauge or whole size for the mesh in an OMF, QUOTE]

Not sure - but i got all mine on fleabay the mesh company - reasonable price in my view, but I suppose it depends on how much you need

I have a some of those floors but i add a 21mm upstand to create a floor space above the mesh, this gives more room on shook swarms etc

i have found that without that 21mm floor space there is too little room to do a shook swarm on a 14x12 without crushing bees as you only have a single bee space between brood frame and mesh

i like them and use without a mouse guard but they can block and you need a bent coat hanger to clear them

I have a some of those floors but i add a 21mm upstand to create a floor space above the mesh, this gives more room on shook swarms etc

i have found that without that 21mm floor space there is too little room to do a shook swarm on a 14x12 without crushing bees as you only have a single bee space between brood frame and mesh

i like them and use without a mouse guard but they can block and you need a bent coat hanger to clear them

I put upstands on the first ones I made, but the bees filled the gap with comb, so I dispensed with them!

I like them because
1) They reduce draughts
2) No need for mouse guards
3) Sturdier than standard floors
4) Easier to make than the standard floor

Actually, its the sturdiness thing that is most important to me.

The bees dont seem to care and I havent noticed any difference between the colonies on these floors and colonies on standard floors.

I put upstands on the first ones I made, but the bees filled the gap with comb, so I dispensed with them!
Is there a 'best' setup for these floors if using top bee space?

Is there any other solution for this?

Linking this with another thread would I have to fill the entrance with snow when there is snow outside ?

Redwood - there are some plans on line - but i've modified mine a bit :unfortunately you'll have to wait until tomorrow for my drawings (slight technical hitch owing to Wales winning today - having some problems with bodil y coordination!!):))

Latest posts

Back