also idiot question, homing from strange place

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
hi all, having played musical beehives yesterday i was wondering whether the bees that escaped in the car (and didnt follow) would have found their way to their hive. The hives were finally placed either 15 ish yards or about 1/4 mile as walked, less as crows fly from the car. I guess not, but had to ask:.) sorry. Di

Wouldn't they meet other bees out foraging, recognize them, and follow them home? Do bees forget who they belong to, as it were, if they don't get to keep touching and feeding from each other, as the scent ( ? ) of the colony wears off? Sorry justme for adding a question to your thread. You know how one question creates a thousand more in bee keeping lol.

Hi Kazmcc, kind of what I was thinking:.)

RAB, also kind of what I was thinking:.) especially in the latter situation knowing the terrain. Long lane with minimum of 3 layers of trees upto 40' high on each side then across field as walked but over/through many of the same trees with lots of others and 4 fields of unimproved land ie lots of wildlife as the crow flies.

Latest posts

Back