Almost made me cry!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it just me or is extracting honey the most exciting thing ever!!!! sorry couldnt resist that opening sentance after the recent post about how tendious it had been for someone who soooo unfortunately had to extract sooooooooooooo much honey!

Well I have just extracted my first 4 frames 2 deep and 2 shallow. and have to admit it was one heck of a messy job! Thank goodness hubby is not in house at moment! Think there are dots of honey everywhere. BUT for me I am sat here with one Heck of a cheesy grin on my face seeing the tub fill up almost brought tears of joy to my eyes!

Hedgerow petes 2 frame extractor worked but I didnt managed to do a great extraction on the deep frames so must admit to also scraping them after initial extraction, they are now back in hive being cleaned as I type

Just thought I would share my smiles with everyone on here :party:

Thats great it is fantastic you will not forget the first time you extracted yours and the bees honey it is quite magical.

Dont want to put any more tears into your eyes but one tenth of a tea spoon is one bees lifetimes work and for 1lb of honey they have had to fly approx 55,000 miles.

Thats great it is fantastic you will not forget the first time you extracted yours and the bees honey it is quite magical.

Dont want to put any more tears into your eyes but one tenth of a tea spoon is one bees lifetimes work and for 1lb of honey they have had to fly approx 55,000 miles.

Thanks Tom think i best get back to the carpet and start licking now makes it seem all the more valuable and I dont want to waste a drop! Wish I had vacuumed before I started, will get a mouthful of dogs hair for each bees lifetime now!

Well done Mel.

I did mine last night. :)

I stand everything on an old wipe clean table cloth (wax cloth?) and then take everything out to the yard for a clean up.

Nice to have it all done, cleaned and put away for next year.

Darren.

What two frame extractor????? Having only a pithering bit of honey for myself this year it is soooo precious and I don't want to waste any - have looked on forum but can't find any plans for this????

I know what you mean though, milkermal - it is amazing and quite humbling when I see the honey pouring out...worthy of a shrine to the bee goddess methinks!!!

I love extracting. I like the process and rythmn of the whole activity. Then there's the smell and the end product. Yum.
Having a spanking new 9 frame extractor this year also helps.

Don't want to hijack the thread but anyone got any cool tools for getting the last little dribble of honey out of the extractor or bucket?
Cazza

Well done Mel! That'll be the best honey you've ever tasted then:.) Better even than our beekeepers cream tea last Monday?

Great news the extractor worked, another building job for me over the winter, no honey for me this year.
Mel, do you think it would cope properly with frames halfway between national super & brood depth?

If we are talking topping up or reducing jars a tea spoon works rather well.

No moving parts... LOL

KISS

PH

Is it just me or is extracting honey the most exciting thing ever!!!!

Come on Mel! I agree that the first go at extraction is satisfying. And I know that you spend most of your life in the milking parlour.

But if it really is the most exciting experience of your life ...

You know that frame you have.....

When you go onto wide spacing?

I couldn't wait for extracting!:cheers2:

Took two frames off my super, just as a first time harvest, and we have honey show next month.

I don't have an extractor, and for two frames I didn't want to borrow one and take it back and clean it etc,

so

I de-capped the frames, stood them up in a 5 gallon fermention bucket, put the lid on, and left it in the warmth of the conservatory.

Took a bit of comb too, because it was a bit slow, and then put all I could into a filter bag and dripped it into jars.

Clear, golden honey;)

I'm dead chuffed.

Its going in the novice section, watch this space, ;)

Well, its 11;15 in the eve and I have just finished extracting, took me ages to get rid of all the blasted wasps before I could start. There must be 100 dead on the garage floor!!
I am really pleased cos this extract was from the apiary which started again with swarms this year. I didn't expect much but have 60lb I think.- from 2 colonies. The others are too new.

To get the last out of the extractor I just wedge a brick under the extractor leg and leave to drain. Also I then hose everything down with COLD water. Removes honey and wax. Hot water - you will have the wax for a long time!!

Well, I can confirm that my little extract was the most exciting thing ever, Well nearly.
After all the worry, and ups and downs of two years the honey tasted so very good.

BTW I too got a jar or 2 just letting things drip for a day.

But the best thing was putting the extractor and frames out for the bees to clean up. They were so grateful.

Latest posts

Back