Almonds in Bloom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I took this photo last February at the height of the almond blossom. Shot taken from front of house with apiary 100m away. The nearest house is about a mile away and those almond trees are full size.

Norm, Nice to see an almond orchard which isn't a desert as you see in the US. I assume your bees visit the flowers, although the US experience is the almond pollen is not that great when it is the only pollen available.

PS: What did the bird table do to offend you?

Yes I have seen my bees working the almond blossom, only for nectar, they didn't seem to want the pollen! I think I read soemwhere that almond pollen could be toxic if consumed in large amounts. Maybe they sense this and if there are other pollen sources available they ignore it.
The bird table is now relocated in a less vulnerable position in relation to the wind. If you look closely, I even nailed lead sheet to the legs to no avail.

Hi Norm,
Re the bird table blowing over, I use sand bags full of earth to stabilise the self same style of bird table. Just a passing thought.

Regards;

John, I am protected on 3 sides by the hills around me but when the wind blows from the north, it can get quite strong at times. I have had hives blow over!

Mo, tried all sorts but not sandbags. It was meant as a decorative feature really and sandbags wouldn't really do it for me! It is now located in the lee of the gable end which is a pity as it is no longer visible from the front window. I used to have peach faced lovebirds visit it.

Latest posts

Back