almond tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowbow

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi we are planting fruit tree's at are club apiary and would like some almond tree's, to keep cost's down try and grow some from nuts, has any one out there got any fresh almond's please?.
Regards
John :cheers2:

Hi we are planting fruit tree's at are club apiary and would like some almond tree's, to keep cost's down try and grow some from nuts, has any one out there got any fresh almond's please?.
Regards
John :cheers2:

You need to buy a tree. Almost no fruit trees come true from seed, and 99.5% of almonds are poisonous- the edible ones that have been propagated are rare freaks!

Wild cherry is a native tree and if find a group of them in a woodland - you will usually find hundreds of small saplings underneath and around them. Choose ones about a metre high and 1cm - 2 cm thick, what are called 'whips' in the trade. Dig or lever them out and transplant in early Spring when there is no frost. You will get millions of flowers and lots of bird fruits.

You need to buy a tree. Almost no fruit trees come true from seed, and 99.5% of almonds are poisonous- the edible ones that have been propagated are rare freaks!

:eek:

I remember walking along in Kos and throwing fresh almonds at the road to break the shells. Trees growing wild everywhere fruit all over the road. Had NO idea they could be poisonous. feck lol

If you are planting a fruit or nut tree now is not the ideal time. Better to leave it until October / November.
Buckingham Nurseries are good for native fruit trees but I doubt they do Almonds. I'm guessing they would be difficult to grow in the UK unless you're in an area with a decent climate.

Back