All-weather bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just been up the garden with my first cup of tea to see the girls. Very gloomy morning, raining steadily. Some bees coming out a few feet and going back in (I assume cleaning flights)- and some heading off over the hedges to start a days work!

Anyone know where I can buy 20,000 tiny sou'westers?bee-smillie

I think they dodge the rain,a bit like we dodge revolving doors in arcades / malls.

If you google it, the vast majority of sites tell you emphatically that honey bees don't fly in the rain. Nobodies told my bees that.

If my bees didn't work in the rain, they wouldn't work.

Ian

Yes-out in it- but limited- cos the next good day- they look like a swarm is on the cards- quire spectacular in numbers :ack2:

Up here in the Northern Midlands, every bee is issued an umbrella at birth...

Up here in the Northern Midlands, every bee is issued an umbrella at birth...

Mine don't get them until they start foraging. There's a little rack by the front door, adajacent to the coat hooks and plimsoll bags.

My bees always work in the rain. All my hives in different areas.

I was surprised when I first had them as it is stated that they don't

So don't believe everything you read. :)

Why bees should work in the rain?
Flowers are full of water.

Well mine are still bringing in pollen and its been raining all day.

Maybe they go for the flowers that hang upside down. :)

ah,
mine like the feel of the ocean
and the taste of champagne

I try to discourage them but they have expensive tastes

(not into yoga though)

It is not only AMM that work in the rain, mine do as well and I've seen New Zealand yellow bees (Italians) working in the rain in the UK. Here they also work at quite low temperatures such as 5C early in the morning.
Best regards
Norton.

It is not only AMM that work in the rain, mine do as well and I've seen New Zealand yellow bees (Italians) working in the rain in the UK. Here they also work at quite low temperatures such as 5C early in the morning.
Best regards
Norton.

Heh heh . Urban legends.
In that weather they bring drinking water.

I live in Manchester :( So, I don't need to tell you all that the weather is abysmal. It has been on/off drizzling for the past two weeks, but some quite sunny spells between. This thread has made me less anxious about how the ladies are doing. Being a first time beek, I have to get used to this stuff, and worry a bit more than I probably should.

I can assure the general readership that NZ bees do not like Scottish rain and will sit and sulk waiting for a better day, (and stuffing their faces) whilst awaiting the better day that never comes.

I got rid of them a bit quick, lots of bees via lots of sugar and zip honey. Not a great success really.

PH

I live in Manchester :( So, I don't need to tell you all that the weather is abysmal. It has been on/off drizzling for the past two weeks, but some quite sunny spells between. This thread has made me less anxious about how the ladies are doing. Being a first time beek, I have to get used to this stuff, and worry a bit more than I probably should.

I'm 12 miles to the east of you, there;s been plenty enough sunshine and dry spells for them to forage here. I'm sure that it's not been too different where you are.

Ian

I'm 12 miles to the east of you, there;s been plenty enough sunshine and dry spells for them to forage here. I'm sure that it's not been too different where you are.

Ian

Thanks Ian, for putting my mind at rest.......I'm originally from Ashton - Under - Lyne. Not too far from you :) ;)

Latest posts

Back