All this talk of Asian Hornets, are we over reacting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
I've been reading on this forum for a while now about the threat from Aisian Hornets and the impending doom that they will bring to our native bees when they make their way from mainland Europe to these islands.

But. If your native hornet has not colonised the UK completely and is unknown here in Ireland, is it not possible that the Asian hornet will also not expand further than the native hornet due to unsuitable conditions?

Just a thought. Discuss.

Torquil

with imports happing a lot more now,,and things warming up temp from north france no diff south uk... when!! get a hold be no stopping them..only have to look on utube to what they can do to a hive of bees ...

I can't see them being that much of a problem to most bee keepers on this forum if and when they are in the British Isles.....

Chris

Prevention is better than cure! In this case tho there prob is no cure as they would destroy the colony! that said after reading a few beek books and news articles it's all doom and gloom!

Prevention is better than cure! In this case tho there prob is no cure as they would destroy the colony! that said after reading a few beek books and news articles it's all doom and gloom!

The Japanese honey bee seems to have found an answer to the hornet problem.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6m40W1s0Wc&feature=related[/ame]
bee-smillie

Last edited:
If your native hornet has not colonised the UK completely and is unknown here in Ireland, is it not possible that the Asian hornet will also not expand further than the native hornet due to unsuitable conditions?

I am one of the NBU sentinels looking out for small hive beetle and tropilaelaps and we are now being issued with hornet traps to look out for this hornet. I have an interest in social wasps and have been monitoring them for years in yorkshire and first saw the foreign invading saxon and median wasps about ten years ago and in the last four years have caught both queen and worker european hornets in home made traps as they have spread northwards from Southern England . Also the tree bumble has rapidly spread north in the last few years. The Asian hornet will come (maybe inside a container wagon, on a potted plant from holland etc or simply migrate across the channel like lots of butterflies do at the present) and we must be ready for it

with imports happing a lot more now,,and things warming up temp from north france no diff south uk... when!! get a hold be no stopping them..only have to look on utube to what they can do to a hive of bees ...
? There are hardly any Asian hornet videos on YouTube. There are quite a few of the spectacular Asian Giant Hornet, but that isn't the one at issue here - thank goodness! Unfortunately, media reports often confuse the two. Had you any particular video in mind? I'd be interested to see if there is a good one...

I would certainly take care to notify CEH if I found an Asian hornet or a nest, as it's important to track the distribution of potentially important insects. Personally I'm not too worried about Asian hornets, although there is clearly the potential for localised losses if they do very well in one particular place, or have a particularly good year in their favour. On the whole, though, from talking to friends abroad, I gather that they are of most danger to weak/undefended hives... in other words, a similar predator to wasps, which, as we know, *can* pester a hive very badly but usually don't.

I definitely wouldn't like to anger an Asian hornet nest - they're a lot bigger than a European hornet's nest and, whilst not generally too aggressive, they would probably pursue someone for quite a while if really annoyed! I suspect that it's the concern for people, rather than honeybees, which will seal their fate if they set up home over here.

Edit: I've just discovered that you can find more relevant videos by searching in French (frelon asiatique) - there are a range of vids, including some really impressive big nests, plus a rather cool x-ray tomography of a nest. Not so much footage of them predating beehives though.

Last edited:
Asian Hornets need to be taken seriously

I live in Chiangmai in Northern Thailand where the Asian Hornet, (Vespa velutina) is indigenous and the European Honey Bee, (Apis Melifera) was introduced, (some 50 years ago). These two species do not get along at all. The honeybee has absolutely no defence against predation by V velutina, unlike the native Apis cerena, which has co-evolved with them. The hornet problem here builds up over the wet season, (May - October) and then disappears, almost overnight, as the rains end. But by October our bee colonies have been weakened considerably, (extreme hornet pressure can prevent the bees foraging) and the colonies require a lot of effort to get them back in time for the main honey flow here, (Feb - April). In France, Asian Hornet problems are worst during the autumn, which may be affecting over wintering success in some locations. The French claim to have reduced the problem considerably by trapping, (using sweet baits) the hornet foundresses in Spring. Here that does not work at all.

Welcome to the forum Chiangmai member - very interesting post :)

hornet space

I notice that the Fera instructions say, cut a 7mm hole to allow the hornet in.

So, does that mean if I restrict the height of my hive entrance to 6.5mm or 6mm they can't enter?

And - if I provide an alternative entrance leading to a trap, will that sort the buggers out?

They don't need to enter, they catch the bees outside the hive

All this talk of Asian Hornets, are we over reacting?
Beekeepers said this about verroa, I don't think GB is warming up especially after the last 2 winters in fact they say the earths temp has not increased in the last 25 years (read the climate gate files so the probability of us getting the hornet long term is quite slim

However we do have "anti hornet" grills that fit Dadants, smaller arches to the mouse guard because ultimately when the colony is weakened sufficiently they will enter for the stores.

Bee-swarm.jpg
[/IMG]

Chris

hornet space2

Ah yes, I've just read the planet passion page where it says that.

I can't shake the idea that the size is important.

What would happen if the foragers encountered a barrier more than the magic 30cm away with 5.5mm or 6mm holes?
Maybe 3-4 feet away. You know the sort I mean don't you? Similar to the insect mesh used to protect fruit.

Would the bees,

A) sit on the mesh and die
B) or go back to the hive
or would they,
C) land on the mesh, crawl through the space and continue to the food source and return the same way.

My thought is this: if the bees follow their navigational cues, they would enter the mesh from different directions, confounding the hornets who might buzz around looking for a hive entrance. Or possibly never find it in the first place.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back