all the weeds that bees love

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meidel

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
the dreaded HB of course, Japanese knotweed too and this morning I read that convolvulus is another honey bee plant !! for gardeners who are also beeks this must lead to some mixed feelings, no?

According to the farm manager, everything's a weed except wheat.

the dreaded HB of course, Japanese knotweed too and this morning I read that convolvulus is another honey bee plant !! for gardeners who are also beeks this must lead to some mixed feelings, no?

All the better to have some handy at the out apiary. My bees can walk to work as there is Bramble and Convolvulus directly in front of them lol

False indigo bush - Amorpha fruticosa
Common milkweed - Asclepias syriaca
Goldenrods - Solidago
Asters - Aster

Some of others known here..

Hi all,
I have been known to leave the lawn uncut to let some white clover flower and I have some borage hidden away in the garden which is not so good.

Borage not so good.........you need to change your borage supplier! Mine love it!

Hi Goran,
Asters and Goldenrods are sold at garden centres in this country!

most gardeners spend good money trying to eliminate clover and dandelion from their lawns

most gardeners spend good money trying to eliminate clover and dandelion from their lawns

A paint brush with home diluted Weedol is ideal for killing dandelions in a lawn and costs peanuts..

Got a field next door with millions of dandelions...

Hi Goran,
Asters and Goldenrods are sold at garden centres in this country!

If you ever pass near me, You can take a lorry full of seedlings of it for free.
Beside one "wild" variety of aster which grow higher ( and when in full bloom fall down and weed itself), we planted one cultivated variety about 70 meters long about half meter wide "patch" outside the fence ( wild animals don't eat it). This cultivated is lower and don't fall but also gives plenty of nectar and pollen in September - covered with bees. If you plant the seedling in Spring it flowers the same year in September.
Goldenrods are also growing wild all around..

Forgot to mention plenty of Yellow Toadflax, bees adore it also. I am blessed with it. Every year I enjoy to watch how bees load its pollen on legs and back. Then I have a plenty of bees "marked" on the back with yellow colour in the hives..

This year I'm growing Tansy - apparently the bees love the flowers, and the leaves when dried make for great smoker fuel. Also deters ants, or so I'm told.

LJ

This year I'm growing Tansy - apparently the bees love the flowers, and the leaves when dried make for great smoker fuel. Also deters ants, or so I'm told.

LJ

Here some use tansy to make "organic-ecological or whatsoever insecticides".. They say it is very efficient..

Latest posts

Back