All in one brood box.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beechcomber

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I am trying to breed some queens in order to re-queen a nasty hive and also to make an increase. Up to now we are on day 4 with q-cells placed in what is our finishing hive(a brood box split in half with the queen on one side of a q-excluder). My question is, is it ok to leave the q. with no way out. I have an entrance for each half but the one with the q. in is closed at the moment. I realize that it would be better to use a full colony but this is trying to be economical with our resources. All being well, I am going to transfer cells to Apedia and similar on the ninth day and then put the q. on the side of the brood box with an entrance. I am concerned that if I opened the other entrance now the q. might find her way around the outside of the hive and gain entrance to the q-cells. What do YOU think? :nature-smiley-013:

the question is will they raise cells like that.

I would shake bees into a nuc box and use them after 24 hours.

PH

I agree with PH a 24 hour old nuc would of been better.

What you also could of done was put a super between 2 brood box's and put some eggs in the top box with pollen/stores to get the yound bees up feeding the larvae,then a queen excluder in between with the queen in the bottom box with the original entrance.

The young bees would of stayed up top with a side entrance while any flyers would of returned to the bottom box.

Were you short of box's ?

Hi, No not short of boxes but trying to create a crowded environment with the bees that we have.

What you need is a queenless crowded situation. shake the bees you want into a nuc box, feed them over night and graft into them tomorrow.

PH

Hi Poly Hive, Grafts already done this is the finishing colony. Hopefully, after ten days I will isolate Q and two frames of bees on one side of box and leave a sealed Q-cell with frames of bees on other side. The remainder of Q-cells (if any) I will create nucs in Apedia and similar and move to a mating site.

How did you get them accepted?

If you used this unit have you looked to check them? what percentage did you get if you did use the Q+ unit?

PH

Hi PH, Used a starter box, achieved about 14 out of 20. Haven't checked since puttting them in finisher. Will probably check to see if they have been sealed in 2 or 3 days.

Ah different ball game than what I thought you said.

Good luck

PH

Hi PH, There's not a lot of border tween Leic&Derby, Ashby perhaps or Smisby?

Latest posts

Back