All full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
no supers left and bees are now foraging the HB. At this rate I’ll have a better harvest than 2018. All boxes full of bees even my spare brood box that I use for demaree with only 1 frame and lots of wild comb that I’ll have to sort out tomorrow.
All new queens mated and laying well
I’ll keep a few nucs this winter just in case wild horses doing what horses do.

Anyone else getting like this

Down to my last dozen supers, had to make up a few hundred shallow frames last week and all the Demarree's I had going on, I left them backfill rather than take off - although the flow has slowed down considerably the last few days.
Swmbo's going to stay with her friend in Cardiff next week and work from the Welsh Government buildings in Cathays to give me peace to do the first round of extracting.

I’ll have to do an extraction this weekend to free up more boxes for the last push.
What’s the heather looking like this year as I haven’t had time for a little walk up the hills

All my boxes are on and nearly full but I'm not too worried as the weather forecast for the next few weeks looks absolutely terrible!

I’ll have to do an extraction this weekend to free up more boxes for the last push.
What’s the heather looking like this year as I haven’t had time for a little walk up the hills
Same here.
I've got the best part of a thousand supers but at a ratio of about 2.5 supers per hive the only way to achieve potential in a good summer flow is to cycle boxes through the extracting room.
Willow herb, thistle and balsam just coming into their own and fresh nectar still piling in here so I'm humming and harring over a trailer or two to the mountains.
My original beekeeping guru would always advise against moving bees off a flow, it makes the timing very tight to catch the heather.

They cap it when it's full and ripe, not sure I go along with less forage = capping like billy-o
The top boxes were ripe ages ago, no sign of capping, the forage has definitely slowed down with us the last week or so and now I have bees capping frames in most supers

Looking pretty grim behind me last week, brown rather than green with a promise of purple - haven't been over the other side of the valley since to look back to see if there's been an improvement.

Looking pretty grim behind me last week, brown rather than green with a promise of purple - haven't been over the other side of the valley since to look back to see if there's been an improvement.
Green rather than brown on heather in Abergavenny area, but only where on moisture retentive peat or moss soils. Buds ok but still a week off florets opening. I'm taking a handful of hives, should be OK though. JBs hill: might need to wait to hear from him as to cause of brown-ness, and whether the other side of the hill may be better.

It's been my best year so far all supers and spare brood boxes nearly full ,gotta get extracting yesterday! Plus I got 30 supers of foundation drawn , bonus

My best year as well but I was a bit blindsided after how terrible last year was. Few deeps are on as supers; I purchased 32 shallows last year and have been scrambling to build frames as I wasn't expecting to need them all; had considered selling some older ones however it looks like instead I will be ordering more. Some hive stands have been reinforced as they are bowing with the weight and now considering my options to replace those. My next shortage is going to be buckets and customers.

Although not sure if I'll ever get another season like it soon, heat records were broken three times last week that had stood for 43 years.

Bit the bullet and ordered some supers frames and foundation, gutted I didn’t order when Maisemores had their sale a few weeks ago. The cheapest I could find with postage was Abelos.
At least they can draw them out for next year

Down to my last two supers but as it's raining and a lousy forecast I am going to start extracting everything this weekend.
Long waiting list for honey.

Same here.
I've got the best part of a thousand supers but at a ratio of about 2.5 supers per hive the only way to achieve potential in a good summer flow is to cycle boxes through the extracting room.
Willow herb, thistle and balsam just coming into their own and fresh nectar still piling in here so I'm humming and harring over a trailer or two to the mountains.
My original beekeeping guru would always advise against moving bees off a flow, it makes the timing very tight to catch the heather.
Bees were on thistles yesterday the flow has slowed down here a bit, interesting to know more about your guru??

As by the end of this morning I will have half my bees on the Heather?
Willow herb and hb is flowering well.
I wanted to take advantage of the Heather as our bees on the perminant sites over there have some bell Heather mixed honey in... New sites are always a test to see what there like.
Next year.........

Bit the bullet and ordered some supers frames and foundation, gutted I didn’t order when Maisemores had their sale a few weeks ago. The cheapest I could find with postage was Abelos.
At least they can draw them out for next year
You should have called - you could have had some of the flatpacks I have in reserve and replaced them for me at the next sales

Latest posts

Back