Alighting Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Thinking of adding a National hive or two to my small collection of 3x WBCs. How important is the Alighting Board to the National set-up? Is it necessary, or a gimmick? If the National(s) were put on a wooden hive stand (couple of 4” by 4” timbers) then is an alighting board necessary?

Thinking of adding a National hive or two to my small collection of 3x WBCs. How important is the Alighting Board to the National set-up? Is it necessary, or a gimmick? If the National(s) were put on a wooden hive stand (couple of 4” by 4” timbers) then is an alighting board necessary?

It's not necessary, but it would help the odd forager returning heavily laden with pollen avoid underflying the entrance and landing in the grass

But on the other hand, if you are just putting the hive on the ground, on a 4" plank, underflying won't be an issue anyway

I think they are useful to bees, and that the fact that they are called, "alighting boards" is odd as mine see more use as landing boards. By watching bees you can clearly see that they find it useful to have some sort of step/ledge/parapet/board from which to fly and on which to congregate or to land. The barrier it makes to the prevention of underflying is also beneficial.
They don't miss not having one, but there are other optional items that some people see as essential and others don't.

Last edited:
I like landing boards because I enjoy watching the different colours of pollen entering. Without a board the bees enter too quickly for me see. This year, sadly, I've had CBPV and it's been useful to monitor 'trembling' bees on the board.

Large boards are a nuisance when transporting hives.

I can see an argument for them possibly helping to prevent underflying and then trying to work out how they get in through an OMF rather than returning to the entrance. If you can fly and walk on walls though, pretty much any surface, including the front of the hive body, is a landing board, surely? I can't help feeling that having a horizontal(-ish) surface to land on says more about humans than bees. After all, they spend a huge amount of their time working vertically. Quite possibly it's more natural for them than being horizontal.

James

I can see an argument for them possibly helping to prevent underflying and then trying to work out how they get in through an OMF rather than returning to the entrance. If you can fly and walk on walls though, pretty much any surface, including the front of the hive body, is a landing board, surely? I can't help feeling that having a horizontal(-ish) surface to land on says more about humans than bees. After all, they spend a huge amount of their time working vertically. Quite possibly it's more natural for them than being horizontal.

James

Yes, a vertical surface below the entrance would be more natural. But there usually isn't one with hives placed on stands.

They're great in Autumn for wasps to convene and plan a raid.

Also useful to allow dead\paralysed bees to accumulate and.......
Not a single dead or dying bee EVER left on the board by the other bees.
I will be trying out anti robbing entrances in August and may have made an underfloor entrance by then as well.
They have a graveyard about 3 feet away from the hive.

James
They do spend some time horizontal, on the excluder and on the tops of frames and crown boards, i forgot to add flying ?
Anyway 'up' is the right way up for a Bee ?

Last edited:
I use a length of arris rail. The triangular shape allows a slight slope at the entrance so snow etc. less likely to stay and obstruct entrance. Also easily removed and narrow enough to not obstruct stacking storing. Skips can be a great source of off cuts.

if any of horizontal, vertical, oblique surface can accelerates the landing by minimize the risk of mid-air collisions and thus of traffic congestion could offer a collective advantage to a colony

perhaps a too large surface in relation to bees body, bee may loses the target of entry and also may the entrance walking slows down the entire process making it harder for guards to inspect them upon entry benefiting any predators

Latest posts

Back