Aldi Router / Router table

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojciech

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As a very clumsy DIYer, I wondered if it would be worth buying the router and router table that Aldi are selling from tomorrow.

I've never used a router but I've been thinking of trying to build some Warre hives which need boards that are rebated. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

good question wojciech, looks like I could do with one of those, cant get there tomorrow though:.(

Hi wojciech,

Thanks for the info.
I am a router virgin, so to speak.
I aim to pop down my local store in the morning.
hopefuly get a bargain. i thinnk the belt sander looks ok too for £20.

shonto

Routers are ace for making the pieces that are cut from 2"X1" on a National. You can make the rebate really easily and to perfect size. I tried before using a table saw, but the router is the easier way. Now a router table would make it even easier still.

Dave

My grandad bought one of these last year, it wasn't as higher quality as one that would have been twice the price but overall for its price he found it really useful.

Michael

Thanks for the timely warning dulwich.

shonto

I would advise anyone that has not used a router to spend some time becoming familiar with safe operation practices. In particular which way to feed the router or material (freehand or in the table) and to use push pads or such like when using a router table. Goggles and mask also advisable too.

Also never try to remove too much material in one pass, you risk burning the material and at worse binding and kick back.

SimonB,

I certainly agree with you there!

The OP may well be advised to beware, and consider carefully, before purchasing or using this type of machine; after all the poster did say "As a very clumsy DIYer"

Sometimes it is better to retain all ones digits and avoid the risk other possible serious consequences. It may be like beekeeping - you need some good instruction before going it alone, or be adept at absorbing material from the written word.

Regards, RAB

Routers are unneccesary for those of us who believe in Gorilla glue.. which expands to fill ALL cutting aberrations...

SimonB,

I certainly agree with you there!

The OP may well be advised to beware, and consider carefully, before purchasing or using this type of machine; after all the poster did say "As a very clumsy DIYer"

Sometimes it is better to retain all ones digits and avoid the risk other possible serious consequences. It may be like beekeeping - you need some good instruction before going it alone, or be adept at absorbing material from the written word.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for your advice - I did ask for it because I am unfamiliar with routers as a tool but am interested in learning new skills (which is why I've gone into beekeeping).

I'll make sure I've equipped myself with some Gorilla glue if I do use a router in case I need to stick any digits back on !!!

Take care,

"I have just tried to put it together, and the router does not fit the
table. The table has a circular cutout , but the router is not a round
it looks more like
__
(___)

rather than
( )"

From,
http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/144202-my-aldi-router-does-not-fit-table-arghh-help.html

It's a truncated circle. I made a jig for grooving feeder parts last month and essentially gives you the benefit of a full circle and flat edges for convenience when hand held. I suspect that it should be no problem, It should secure in a circular aperture as I feel it's likely to secure in a circular recess by either two or four points?

Having just tried to put it together, is there any chance of a couple of photos, of the router base, from underneath and the bench aperture, ideally from underneath and above?

I have just been out to my workshop and my router base looks like the drawing. The yellow circle represents the extended circle. The inner two screws hold an exhaust cowling and the other four I would imagine would be mounted through a table top after the sole plate was removed. It's a Performance (something or other) 1020R, not a recent model.

Just read the link supplied. If the router base is bigger than the hole in the table, then the answer may be in your own hands, route out a bigger hole . . . LOL.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
I use ear plugs as the sound sometimes is very loud.

The sound is always very loud, but only when switched on I find . . . ha ha.

Back