Aldi radiator reflector sheet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I find Poly hives do the job without the faffing about.

My poly's come out of winter stronger than my cedars.

The hives won't last as long but the bees will.

:sorry: Tim.

Anyone tried this on your hives. I'm not sure whether the sheets properties would help keep our bees warm in winter?

The claim is that it is equivalent to 30mm of polystyrene.

However 50mm thick Celotex is equivalent to about 100mm of expanded polystyrene. About 3x as good, but best to be surrounded by an eke or spare super, whereas this aluminium faced bubblewrap should just fit under a roof. Certainly better than Thornes daft sponge sheets.
Remember that Wickes sell small sheets of 50mm thick Celotex for about £6 …

However 50mm thick Celotex is equivalent to about 100mm of expanded polystyrene. About 3x as good

Is this the reflector sheet Aldi are selling that is only 3mm thick?

Is this the reflector sheet Aldi are selling that is only 3mm thick?

Well, yes, but no.

Keep damp and condensation away.

For lofts, walls and sheds
4.5m² coverage
Flexible and easy to fit
4mm thick multi-layer foil bubble
Thermal-resistance equivalent to 30mm of polystyrene
60 x 750cm
Product reference: 61915
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbu...ct-detail/ps/p/multi-purpose-insulation-wrap/

It is also worth noting that the claims for such "multi-layer foils" are far from universally accepted in the building trade, where high performance is required by building regs. Getting approval isn't guaranteed everywhere.
"Tri Iso" is the leading brand name in that area http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/actis-tri-iso-super-10-16m-x-1250m-roll-20m2.html

So how would it compare with 4mm thick Celotex for insulation properties?

As I stated above, the claim is that the multifoil is better for identical thickness.

However, that claim isn't universally accepted.
AND multifoil products are generally not appropriate to flat (so non-condensation-draining) installation. (A point I must admit I had forgotten in the few years since I was looking for roof insulation.) As such, I really don't think its a good idea for crownboard insulation. (Still maybe better than T's bit of sponge though!)

So, for me, even 4mm of Celotex (if you could get it that thin) would be better.
And those 'thin' (50mm) Celotex sheets (as in Wickes car-back-seat-sized sheets) would be massively better insulation.

If the subject of multifoil insulation is of interest, you can find more discussion elsewhere, for example http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/triiso-super-10-t1826.html

Hi HM, yes it's the radiator reflector which is why I'm not sure it will work either way round hence the question. At £5 per roll (6 metres) I thought it might come in handy.

Hi HM, yes it's the radiator reflector which is why I'm not sure it will work either way round hence the question. At £5 per roll (6 metres) I thought it might come in handy.

Its really not appropriate for horizontal use. As in a flat roof for a house, or a crownboard.
End of.
Sorry for any confusion caused by my initial response. (I thought it was an aluminised bubble wrap, rather than a multifoil. Doh!)

The problem is the likelihood of condensation between the layers of a multifoil.
The condensed water would cause a 'thermal bridge' or heat leakage path. Water conducts heat much better than air. Thus the insulation wouldn't insulate.
Condensation should not be a problem in its intended application, between a hot radiator and a cold (but not damp) wall. The "Dew Point" should never be reached between any of the layers. But it certainly would be in a hive.

Latest posts

Back