air tools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
does anybody know about compressors? How small a compressor could I get away with to run small airtools, such as a nailer etc? I am not talking about using it continuously, or professionally etc.

Generaly the faster it spins, moves or buzzes the more air or CFM (cubic feet minute) the bigger the unit. They will all have a cfm, which is like the power of the unit.

For a nailer it will be quite low,

infio below gives you some idea

Angle Disc Grinder 6 CFM
Dual Action Sander 6 CFM
Ratchet 1/4" 3 CFM
Air Drill 1/2 4 CFM
Grease/caulking Gun 4 CFM
Ratchet 3/8" 4 CFM
Air Drill 3/8 4 CFM
High Speed Grinder 5" 4 CFM
Sand Blaster (3 gallon) 4 CFM
Butterfly Impact 3 CFM
Impact Wrench 1/2" 5 CFM
Spray Gun (commercial) 6 CFM
Chisel/Air Hammer 4 CFM
Impact Wrench 3/4" 7 CFM
Spray Gun (HVLP) 18 CFM
Cut Off Tool 4 CFM
Nailer 1 CFM
Straight Line Sander 7 CFM
Die Grinder 8 CFM
Orbital Jitterbug Sander 6 CFM

A brad nailer or finish nailer, you could get away with a small compressor, 25 litre tank, or even smaller.
If you intend to run air drills, sanders, grinders, spray gun, grit blaster, nibbler or rachet/impact wrench (like the ones used to take wheels off of cars) then you will need something with a bigger tank, and a higher cfm pump. These type tools will empty a large tank quickly, and the pump wont keep up unless its a fairly heafty one.

I run a 200 litre tank, i am not sure what the pump is rated at, but its single phase, but on a 30 amp switch. Basicly the biggest single phase one you can get. I also have a 50 litre mobile one, which is ok for spraying etc, but wont run the bigger boys!

Trouble is with air, you can get so many useful tools, and you tend to expand!

I would go for the biggest mobile one you can get. Floor mounted ones are great, but you cant move it if its in the way!

Compressed air is not particularly efficient as a means of powering tools. If only a few small jobs, go electric. Much easier, plug in anywhere.

That said, every tool will have a cfm, lpm or l/h or something similar as a rating. Most are the bare minimum and may be OK when all new and pristine and used carefully, but in the real world I reckon 50% reserve is more than ample and sometimes it might be needed if working fairly continuously.

A 10 bar tank is a help if you need to run intermittently on a small compressor. 7 bar is too close to the normal needs of 6 bar for most tools although a lot are rated at about 4.5 bar. Real tools need that 6bar.

I just gave away my little portable compressor and just have about a 10 cfm machine (in old money) in the garage. That makes it big enough to go grit blasting on a very small scale and suitable for any of my air tools. I would not want to go less than 1/2 or 2/3 of what I have.

A few nails is a cissy job for compressed air. I have used an electric for some years until it failed and now have a much slower battery nailer, but if does my few frames OK. Compressed air nailers are excellent for 40 and 50mm nails (or bigger).

One thing to watch out for is compressors rated as 'displacement volumes', not delivery volumes'. More than just a subtle difference; more of a sales gimmick.

Hope that helps as something to think about. Just don't blame me when you find your cheapo, noisy little compressor is not man of the job and doesn't last very long!

Regards, RAB

Thanks for that. I will have a look at electric options too, and even something like a paslode gun (if they will do something small enough for frame nailing, as well as doing larger nailing for other stuff eg decking)

I did have a little electric frame nailing gun, but it constantly jammed, or fired 2 nails at a time. Every nail also needed a tap to finish it off, in softwood frames. It hadnt done that much when it broke. It wasnt good enough that I would buy another, but was far quicker than using a hammer and nails.

Paslode do a finish nailer, but the nails and gas are a rip off!

Do you have a freind that knows a freind that works on the building? :D

Thanks for that. I will have a look at electric options too, and even something like a paslode gun (if they will do something small enough for frame nailing, as well as doing larger nailing for other stuff eg decking)

Frame nailing and decking are realy to different extrems for one unit!

For frame making I use this, it does up to 35mm nails/tacks/U tacks, and I find it no problem as long as you use the correct ones, ore as you have said they do jam or fire 2 out.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1275687679176&isSearch=true

Decking I would uses screws anyway.

Personally I would not bother with electric brad nailers I have one and although it it a good make it it inferior in every way to air nailer. It stays in the box and occasionally I lend it to people.

The air nailers I have of different sizes are the cheaper end of the market and in my opinion have lasted many years with plenty of use. They are not in continuous use but are used on a daily basis.

They are not as refined and perhaps as long lasting as the branded tools but do the job intended for at a fraction of the price.

I will recommend Machine Mart reasonably good well priced tools

look at this http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tigger/path/airmaster-2

and

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/staple-nail-guns

Back