Ain't Life Beeeeeeauttiful?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
Just done a first complete check on one of my hives (wanted to replace the base - only have one spare, so couldn't do the second hive as well).

Guess what I saw????

Nectar. Lovely, fresh nectar - and quite a lot of it too!

Now if only I could convince them to store it in the nice, clean, fresh foundations I have provided instead of next to last year's cast-off ivy honey...

Put a box underneath (with a QE on it) with those frames in it and they will move it shortly. Possibly not warm enough in the hive yet for copious comb drawing and there is not so much depth of cell on foundation!

Think ahead - have some drawn comb available for things like that for next year. Obviously won't help now but experience of a problem will often prompt a solution.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the advice RAB. I will have drawn comb ready next year - trouble is, as a second year beek, my colony spent last year expanding from a nuc and didn't get round to drawing much comb.

Yes, I can see that.

Was (were) your nuc(s) obtained in July?

If it(they) was(were), remember the poem 'A swarm of bees in May....'

It gives a bit of perspective on the tasks for year one, for any new-to-be beeks reading this.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back