Agressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

A newbie question I am afraid, I wonder if anyone can suggest some solutions...

I have 2 hives, I have just last week done an artifical swarm to split them (although this problem certainly existed before I did this). My bees are simply very agressive. (There is no OSR near us either). The hives are about 250m from my house in one of my fields, the bees follow us back to the house after an inspection and at other times single bees attack us when we are gardening.

My husband has been stung again today (3rd time in a week) and wants me to do something / get rid of them.

I am thinking I will requeen but what is the likelihood of this working?

Any help gratefully accepted

Thanks

Karen

Re queen immediately, but remember the new queen has to have time to lay and produce the new bees, so its not going to happen overnight. When you carry out your inspections spray with a little water as I find this keeps the bees calmer don't get me wrong but also use smoke initially.
The most drastic way is to kill all the bees off and start afresh. I don't really recommend this though. But if it keeps the peace with hubby then it might be e your only option.
With requeening its pot luck really what the offspring will bee like. So again its worth raising ypour own queens they always come in handy.

Last edited:
What were they like going into winter and at this years first couple of inspections ?

Many beekeepers are having problems the last week or so with temper due to the cold dull weather.

I would wait a week and see if the warmer weather changes them back.

Sorry to but in, I can't help you, it was your comment on osr does that make bees agressive, I hope not i'm serounded by the stuff

Any mono floral crop does affect the bees. Notably OSR and Heather.

You need to re-queen Karen, and in the mean time can you move this hive somewhere else until you have the changing of the guard operation done?

If you don't have anywhere I am in Castle Donington and you could plonk them on my site for three weeks if you want?

PH

what a very kind thing to do poly hive kind people like you is what keeps this site going

i am in a very similar position with super grumpy bees and a grumpy spouse to match. to requeen should i just kill the old queen. won`t her brood have the same charachteristics(sorry about spelling). thanks in advance for answers,sorry for hijacking your thread karen.

members don't forget i need the old queens. Ta

Incatatus,

Your solution is in your thread. Here it is again - use eggs from your other colony.

RAB

Incatatus,

Your solution is in your thread. Here it is again - use eggs from your other colony.

RAB

Surely not...........

It is better to bye a laying queen. If you rear own queen it perhaps mate with evil drones. Rearing takes a long time.

Perhaps you have close by wild colonies and they will put they spoon in the soup.

It is better to bye a laying queen
writes Finman

That my friend is a matter of opinion. I prefer to breed my own queens then I know what type of disposition at least 50% is of the queen but do not know regarding the drone , where as if one buys a laying queen you have no idea of the progeny that will ensue.

I think given that KarenB is new to beekeeping and to the forum Finmans advice is probably the best way forward in this situation.

In a couple of years she can start to experiment with queen rearing but get the basics right first and have that experience enjoyable one. Aggressive bees are not enjoyable.

Good to see you back Finman

writes Finman

That my friend is a matter of opinion. I prefer to breed my own queens then I know what type of disposition at least 50% is of the queen but do not know regarding the drone , where as if one buys a laying queen you have no idea of the progeny that will ensue.

No sence in your "progeny" talkings. I have studied genetics in university.
You do not understand bee genetics at all. 50% means nothing. Where you start the calculation?

1 generation 50% 2) 25% 3) 17% 4) 8% + hybrid phenomenom.

When I have had 20 hives, it is difficult to find a good mother queen from the yard.

Last edited:
i have also got very aggrive bees, am a new beekeeper with 1 colony, in wales, do i requeen and if so how exactly, sorry if this is to basic a question. but really need the help

Only way is to get a new laying queen. I recommend professional breeders because they know how to breed bees.

Professional breeders have hundreds of hives from which they select good mother queens and drone hives.

Some thoughts:

1) Us beginners (and I'm one too) are generally pretty clumsy. After a while you realise what makes bees mad - knocking frames, squishing one when you put the boxes back and banging things. Even the way you ease the crownboard off can make a real difference. It is really hard to do it smoothly, especially when the little blighters have propped everything together, but it makes a real difference.

2) External factors annoy them too. One of our colonies last year became vile - but we realised that it was probably the tractors that had been getting the hay in (cutting, turning x3, gathering, baling....). They just hate tractors. We have the same queen now, and I would put them as "feisty" rather than vile - but perfectly behaved as long as you are careful with them.

3) The weather and what they are foraging, make a real difference.

4) Can they see you? Sounds daft, but if the hive entrance is pointing at movement, even 100 yards away, you will get bees coming out to "have a look".

Of course, some bees are plain vile, and following for 250 yards sounds awful, unless you have been really mean to them!

There seems to be quite a lot of talk about angry bees over the past week or so. Can the experienced among us tell me if that is normal talk for this time of year or do you think mention of moody bees has increased more than usual?
Look forward to hearing your replies :)

. Can the experienced among us tell me if that is normal talk for this time of year or do you think mention of moody bees has increased more than usual?
:)

I have only 47 years experience but it is not valid for one hive owners ideas.

And I have had really angry bees during years.
My bees have never told their progeny and I have never asked.
What I know is to by a new bee stock from professional beekeepers.
They have not afford to keep angry bees.

At least in my country bees are nowadays much more good behaving that 20 years ago.'

Black bees were the first to move to America and Austaralia but they are not there any more .
Kick them to arse and you feel more comfortable.
In Tasmania there are still wild, vivid black bee colonies and they are furious gang.

Last edited:
Please do not put up with "grumpy" bees. They have been responsible for more people giving up beekeeping than anything else. If a dog bites, it is put down and not bred from, but with bees the reverse holds true as owners make excuses or they are left alone and their stingy genes remain in the gene pool.
Please, please, listen to Finmans advice, and requeen asap with a queen of known pedigree. Carniolans from the continent are good - Doug the Bee. In my experience, Brede Valley Queens (British bred)- P.Kemble are as good as any. Good queens are available but you have to hunt them down. Again in my experience,the change in demeanour of the bees is immediate with a change of queen, and beekeeping is much more enjoyable for all concerned.

Latest posts

Back