agresive beehive, what max time will need?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi
I'm always like to read than write.
but this time have some sili sytuation
I'm beekeeper about 5 seasons
one of my hive become really nasty,sting from far away yet and after open hive (no matter smoke or not,sunny and hot or average) very quiet no nocks or other noise, go straight to face, try sting everything including smoker leather.
that was introduction.
now I bought queen from well known beekeeper seller,
old queen was dispach to Heven,new was introduced successfully,.
that was 5.05.2022
in this time I open it only 2 times to check ,end of may and couple days ago,in end of may was very bad(i think was normal need time)
two days ago was even worse, get up in power ,still same new queen ,no other queen,question is do I have give them more time or dispach all hive?

You’ll have to wait for all the old bees to die off, maybe about 6 weeks after the last bees have emerged. So from the time you squished her your looking at 9-10 weeks to get rid of all her offspring.

Thats rough. a couple of thoughts/questions - did you get your new queen (presumably mated) from a REPUTABLE source or locally via 'a well known beekeeper'?
The new queen may not have started laying directly so maybe give it a little longer, in anycase it does take time for new offspring to become workers, around 40 days from being laid and then the old queens eggs also take time so its a slow process.

thank you Ian 123
8 weeks gone I give here another two weeks -no rush
thank you Murox
I think its reputable he have Busines for many years in uk of course
queen was mated,and laying plenty brood( nearly 2xbrood boxes 15,frames) from re queen gone 55 days
what I forgot to say all my queens are buckfast

Aggressive bees are a pain to requiem and often reject any introductions, give them a chance to replace the old lot and I’m sure they’ll be fine

Just to be certain, how are they off for stores? No food makes the best of us craggy. And varoa levels / when did you last treat? Or of course anything local which could be 'annoying' them?

Aggressive bees are a pain to requiem and often reject any introductions, give them a chance to replace the old lot and I’m sure they’ll be fine
Is "requiem" a freudian slip?

Hi Everyone, I also have a super aggressive hive. I do need to re-queen too. However, I can't even get close. Even lifting the roof causes a major assault.

I only once managed to do an inspection and was super super slow, careful, calm, freshly washed, not sweaty etc, but they were still pretty awful.

Whilst we're on the aggressive bee theme, my question is this:
I'm after your tips:

What are your tips to help calm angry bees?
ie Is some smoke better than others and more calming, (or adversely, does some smoke make them agitated)? leaves better than grass, wood chip,
Your hive mind thoughts please?

Is there something I can waft over me to make the bees more amenable to me?
Thoughts on this too.

Best time of the day?

(My tip 1: I have discovered that rubber gloves are way better than leather gloves. leather seems to hold the "attack" smell. Rubber can be washed).

(My tip 2: Bees hate a sweaty person (like me). If you have an aggressive hive. Exercise a couple of hours before inspection, get really sweaty, then shower and fresh clothes). Ref soap etc Do bees hate some smells? toothpaste etc? Any tips out there/.

What do you all do, or what have you discovered?

Thanks, and sorry to barge in on this thread. Seems like a good moment. Might help someone (and me)

best

Hi Everyone, I also have a super aggressive hive. I do need to re-queen too. However, I can't even get close. Even lifting the roof causes a major assault.
I only once managed to do an inspection and was super super slow, careful, calm, freshly washed, not sweaty etc, but they were still pretty awful.
I'm after your tips:
ie Is some smoke better than others and more calming, (or adversely, does some smoke make them agitated)? leaves better than grass, wood chip,
Thoughts on this too.
Best time of the day?
(My tip 1: I have discovered that rubber gloves are way better than leather gloves. leather seems to hold the "attack" smell. Rubber can be washed).
(My tip 2: Bees hate a sweaty person (like me). If you have an aggressive hive. Exercise a couple of hours before inspection, get really sweaty, then shower and fresh clothes). Ref soap etc Do bees hate some smells? toothpaste etc? Any tips out there/.
Thanks, and sorry to barge in on this thread. Seems like a good moment. Might help someone (and me)
Yes they do react strongly to some smells and sometimes just out of curiosity. Whatever smoke source you use the smoke itself needs to be cool, you're not trying to hot-smoke them. Some folks use various herbs and things and report good results. I just get a good fire going, usually with wood chips 'cos they are free to scavenge where I am and then just stuff in whatever I have to hand. But some hives do react badly sometimes to smoke especially a lot of smoke so it can just makes things worse. You could try not using smoke at all, a water mister can work well, if nothing else you'll soon know if smoking is the issue.

The weather and time of day can also make a difference; its the grumpy old workers who often lead the charge so go in when they are out working the field on a good foraging day.

Do your intended re-queening asap with calm peaceful genetics. Dress well for the occasion and seal up possible entries to your suit with gaffer tape, take the belt and braces approach and try to get a fellow beekeeper to come along to assist you.

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I usually use wood chip too. I was slightly wondering of others experience with the herbs etc that you mentioned.

They say that certain smells in washing powders (on the bee suit) and shampoos etc on us, affect things. I was rather wondering about what these were? If anyone out there knows?

The bee hive is so full and awful that I was rather wondering of this as an approach:

Do an artificial swarm (or at least half of one):
1. Early one morning, move the original nasty hive to one side (1m away)
2. Put empty hive (with drawn out comb) in its place.
3. Wait for all the grumpy old foragers to fly off and return to the new empty hive
4. The old hive will now have only half the bees: Only house bees and the horrid queen. Remove her + dispatch.
5. After a few days? introduce a new queen to the old foragers hive
6. And at the same time introduce a new queen to the old hive containing house bees.

This way I'll never have to deal with a full furious hive? Is this a genius solution? Or dumb?

Thoughts everyone?

Is a few days, the right amount of time before adding a new queen. Or shall I wait for 5+ so that there's no chance of them making a new queen from their horrid genetic eggs ?
ie What's the best time lag for success in queen acceptance.

Best

I'm after your tips:

Thoughts on this too.

Best time of the day?

best
For future reference, and in my experience, there’s a chemical used in many cosmetic products (ie soap, shampoo, deodorant, aftershave) that mimics the attack pheromone so I don’t shower the day I inspect.
Keep your beesuit clean but don’t use highly scented washing powder and definitely no fabric conditioner (same chemical).
Most of the foragers are out of the hive around late morning to very early afternoon so a good time to inspect.
Don’t wear anything black (ie nitrile gloves) or use dark cover cloths or black tea towels if washing gloves & tools between inspections (couldn’t work out why bees went mad on one inspection - they were attacking my dark tea towel!)
Cool smoke is essential. Stuff green grass in the top of the smoker. Get to know how your bees react to smoke. One of my hives is fine, one of them gets wound up by too much smoke.
Be calm and gentle with your manipulations and don’t bang stuff around. They hate that.
Hope this helps.

there’s a chemical used in many cosmetic products (ie soap, shampoo, deodorant, aftershave) that mimics the attack pheromone so I don’t shower the day I inspect.
I inspect every day!

Latest posts

Back