Agreeing a suitable site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, dear reader,

I must apologise for two blogs in two days but after a tough week it was lightened today by shaking hands with a new apiary site owner.

Through local contacts I was approached by a recently relocated couple who, one week into their new abode - a fine old school house with loads of potential, as the agents say, with 7 acres to play with too - wanted bees to go with their plans.

After a good walk around the land with the owner, an independent travel leader of some repute, we agreed on a fine location at the top of a field with no obstructions to flight paths and space for 12 hives which was fabulous.

Easy gated access off the farm driveway and no neighbours to bother either - just come and go as you please was the message.

Lucky me you may say (indeed so) but for the eager beekeeper looking for an apiary site : do your research first.

1. Is anyone likely to be stung - dogs, children, neighbours. This will help dictate where to locate hives.
2. Are there any regularly used footpaths ? Occasional ones are fine but a busy footpath generally spells disaster and of course everyone finds out about your hives.
3. Think about the sun - south facing is always best and if you can find a site with shelter from the north either from a hedge or wall/building then all the better.
4. Agree access terms and 'rent'. I always lead on this to ensure I can get my truck close by and the standard '1lb a hive' rule.
5. Always ask if there is storage space for kit - they can always turn you down.
6. Agree a site that won't bother the gardener / homeowner from enjoying their property

So that's it. Just need a few splits to fill the space now. These will most likely be Langstroths as I have a dearth of kit and plan to have a number of spare langstroth nucs to fill the boxes with too.

Roll on spring !

Latest posts

Back