Aggressive Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniebib

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi there I am new to beekeeping one of my hives the bees are quite aggressive I cannot get to inspect as they cover me and chase if I walk away any suggestions as I might need to re queen but can’t get to inspect was stung badly as well. Thanks

You could put a new empty box on the original site with floor & crown board/ roof. Move the original hive some way off & wait for the foragers to go to original site for a few hours before inspecting. Then put it back on original site & move to box with the foragers so they go back home.
What you do next depends on what you find, but it does sound like you need some form of re-queen.
Remember if/when you make them queenless they will probably be worse to handle! A de-queen and immediate unite with a nicer colony may be a possibility.

Because it is too heavy or too many aggressive flyers? Last thing in evening when flying has stopped, simply block the entrance. You could ask an experienced friend to help you lift. Move the hive and take out entrance block. Make sure you are bee proof before starting any inspection. It is the only time, for example, that I might think about leather gloves. Heavy clothing under your beesuit.
Something needs doing, and the above suggestion is, in my experience, the easiest way

what he said, only i'd suggest re-inspecting early afternoon in good weather when most foragers are out, and I'd ask how long have they been aggressive? Not unusual for the occasion inspection to be less than perfect - depends on weather, forage etc. walk away and try another day

I have the same problem. I find it helps to cover supers when you remove them to inspect the brood box, then using cloths on both ends of the brood box and moving them as you go to give access to 1 frame at a time.

I have the same problem. I find it helps to cover supers when you remove them to inspect the brood box, then using cloths on both ends of the brood box and moving them as you go to give access to 1 frame at a time.
Thanks will try this.

Hi Jennie and welcome to the forum. Sorry your first visit is with a difficult problem.
To echo what others have said
Make sure you are bomb proof.
Trousers and a fleece long sleeve top under your suit. Baseball cap under the veil. Legs and wrists taped with gaffer tape. Leather gloves with nitriles on top. Add a similar suited bee buddy.
It really would help if you could move the brood box away. The difference it makes is considerable.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back