aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my hives turned nasty last year, believe it was lack of laying Queen due to swarming and weather. They did all you mentioned but most annoyingly had hundreds flying directly at my face and trying to climb under the sleeves of my suit ever time I inspected. I have hives in my garden and the neighbours were not impressed. Had to let them die over winter. A friend told me yesterday that he had a hive so aggressive that it was constantly on attack so he went the petrol route and through a match in - gone! Bit extreme but was a quick solution.

Killing a colony is a big step to take, burning the equipment as well maybe a step too far!

All the more reason for people to have out apiaries not keep bees in their garden thinking it will all ways be ok

Agree not something I would probably do, but was in a very public apiary

We shouldnt put up with overly aggressive bees as it will only perpetuate their genetics. It should be remembered that your "good honey getting, but aggressive" colony may be fine for your occasional inspections in the back of beyond dressed in your finest armour, but their drones may mate with virgins dozens of miles away in totally different situations where aggressive bees could be totally inappropriate and antisocial.
If we all culled queens from overly aggressive colonies it would decrease the chance that our virgins would mate with undesirable drones.

All the more reason for people to have out apiaries not keep bees in their garden thinking it will all ways be ok

I now have to agree. I've kept bees in the garden for about 5 years and have never had any complaints. This year they became a bit followey and I got stung on the shoulder on the patio. I then moved them to an out apiary where they'll be staying.

I've had them swarming because I could not inspect due to next door always being in the garden - had to wait until they went out which was rare. Before now I've told them I was going into the hives to check the bees, and whilst doing so hearing the woman next door weeding on the other side of the fence about 3 feet away. She knew what I was doing, where the apiary was positioned and probably could smell the smoker but she still did it!

I have 2 hives that started getting bolshy last year but seemed to calm down a bit. Now however they are getting really aggressive and I have had enough of them. They are descended from my original swarm and I am a bit attached to them but they keep trying to attach themselves to me a**e end first! I stood next to my Buckfast this morning and they totally ignored me - got within 5 yards of the nasty hives and they are pinging off the veil. They don't like smoke either but the water trick deffo helps, even better with a bit of sugar added.
I don't mind so much when I have the suit on but they don't play fair and think anyone is game with or without suit. Time for some new queens I think.

Mark

They'll only get worse as the colony increases in size, and bear in mind that they'll be even more ditsy when you remove the Q before requeening;
In your shoes I'd destroy the colony, happy to get a PM as we're in politically incorrect waters! You've still got another two hives!

If you persevere, a neighbour might get stung and your family/friends will turn against you.

Unless you have the option of moving the hive somewhere where it wont be a nuisance while it is being re-queened and the new brood comes

Could it be treated as an AS? Put a frame of open brood with a new caged queen into a box of foundation and put in place of the problem colony - this will seperate the flyers. Then move the problem colony and find the queen.

Last edited:
Beware it could be local or time circumstance.
We have a colony that was very defensive before the temperatures went up. in the temps at or below 12C it would be a big roar and 2 to 3 stinging immediately.

Now you will have the odd guard bee telling you to pushoff if you get too close (0.5m) too long(3minutes) if you are being a paperazzi ,and when inspecting just two bees dancin in front of your viel while inspecting and the rest of the colony quite quiet.

thanks for the replys everyone, moggot when I say aggressive they attack even when observing the hive a few feet away , when you open them up and smoke them there openly attacking no matter how gentle I am with with them, and when you close them up they continue to follow me ontill im a good bit away, it makes inspections difficult its almost imposible to find the queen even though she is there plenty of eggs and brood, I feel nervous inspecting and only have it open the shortest time possible to make sure theres eggs stores etc. I have to say it takes the fun out of beekeeping, I have another hive which is no bother and a pleasure to work with, I might try the sugar water instead of smoking the hive to see if it makes a difference

Personally wouldn't be having that, if you have a nuc make one up out of the other hive, let the queen start laying kill the other and combine that way you don't really lose out. Don't forget you will have drones kicking about off her so it can be spread to the other hives, sooner she's gone the better for me. Failing that could just shot her and requeen.

Just a thought....when you stand near the hive to watch them are you by any chance in their flight path? If you happen to be standing in that they will get in your hair and then chase you off. A simple net to get them over head height may solve all your problems. I have a stroppy hive but they are on a steep slope so when I am watching them they fly out above my head and never cause me a problem unless I am going through them. Might be a simple remedy worth trying
E

One of my hives turned nasty last year, believe it was lack of laying Queen due to swarming and weather. They did all you mentioned but most annoyingly had hundreds flying directly at my face and trying to climb under the sleeves of my suit ever time I inspected. I have hives in my garden and the neighbours were not impressed. Had to let them die over winter. A friend told me yesterday that he had a hive so aggressive that it was constantly on attack so he went the petrol route and through a match in - gone! Bit extreme but was a quick solution.

I'm sure that everyone knows this already, but I'd just like to point out that petol is very volatile. It vaporises rapidly and it's vapour is heavier than air, it flows down to the lowest level and crawls along the floor, ofen this vapur is much further away from the place that the perol was originaly placed than you would expect. It ignites very easily, often with explosive results and can cause serious burns.

It's best use is as fuel for petrol engines, any other use is asking for trouble imvho.

water and detergent is just as effective and far safer!
VM

I'm sure that everyone knows this already, but I'd just like to point out that petol is very volatile. It vaporises rapidly and it's vapour is heavier than air, it flows down to the lowest level and crawls along the floor, ofen this vapur is much further away from the place that the perol was originaly placed than you would expect. It ignites very easily, often with explosive results and can cause serious burns.

It's best use is as fuel for petrol engines, any other use is asking for trouble imvho.

I understood you just used the fumes and allowed them to disperse til the next day before opening up.

I understood you just used the fumes and allowed them to disperse til the next day before opening up.
Quite so.
This sounds like one of mine last year, every frame lifted brought another lot of grouchy bees up at your veil followed by a spell in the shade afterwards until the followers got bored.

It used to be easy with solid floors = just seal the entrance and fumes from half a cup of petrol in the feed hole did the job/

Did someone earlier suggest lighting it?

I have used a trigger sprayer containing red diesel, set to jet for distance throw to annoint a hanging wasps nest in sheds on two occasions. A few hours later every wasp was dead. If diesel does the job why use the higher risk petrol option?

Latest posts

Back