Agghhh - ignorance, ignorance: fondant question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambodach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Been keeping bees for 50 years and because I'm not going to be around for the next month, I got a couple of 2.5kg fondant packs to put on. But I've never done fondant before and I suddenly realised when I went off just now to put it on that I didn't know what I was doing !!

I've seen that I should do diagonal cuts on the underside of the polythene and lay them on the top of the frames, but then I won't be able to put the coverboard back on, and the lid will be all over the place. Do I put another super on despite this giving the bees a bigger volume to keep warm? The fondant packs are about 30mm deep.

What's the solution ?

Many thanks, Rob

Hi

An Eke with restricted space thus avoiding the large space above, or if you dont have an eke, as I have done filling the void with something like bubble wrap .

Not textbook stuff but worked for me.

Though ideally the Eke solution is better, specially made to raise up the crown board by that 50mm or so to allow you to put your fondant on.

Additionally make sure the " Slits " are wide enough for the bees to access the fondant.

Another useful bit of advice is put the fondant in the microwave for 2 minutes or so ( dont overheat ! ) and warm up so you are not putting a cold slab direct on to the frames.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Brian.

I cut strips off the 12.5kg blocks purchased from the local baker and accommodate in an eke - less dead-space for them to heat

Been keeping bees for 50 years and because I'm not going to be around for the next month, I got a couple of 2.5kg fondant packs to put on. But I've never done fondant before and I suddenly realised when I went off just now to put it on that I didn't know what I was doing !!

I've seen that I should do diagonal cuts on the underside of the polythene and lay them on the top of the frames, but then I won't be able to put the coverboard back on, and the lid will be all over the place. Do I put another super on despite this giving the bees a bigger volume to keep warm? The fondant packs are about 30mm deep.

What's the solution ?

Many thanks, Rob

I have upside down miller feeder, then roof.

Empty super on top

Yes, but I would fill it with extra insulation - preferably soft insulation to wrap around the fondant or something like Kingspan with a hole cut into it for the fondant. The plastic bag with fondant can be placed over the crown board food hole with plastic removed above the hole; or remove some fondant from its plastic bag and put it directly over the hole, and cover it with some sort of plastic tub (I usually do the latter).

I am sorry but you have kept bees for 50 years and you don't no how to place fondant on a hive give over, if you don't no now you never will.

I am sorry but you have kept bees for 50 years and you don't no how to place fondant on a hive give over, if you don't no now you never will.

He's never needed to feed them before. Some people leave enough food for the bees to over-winter on. And this is presumably the first time he is going away for a month - so it's a first for him.

(By the way, it's 'know'.)

He's never needed to feed them before. Some people leave enough food for the bees to over-winter on. And this is presumably the first time he is going away for a month - so it's a first for him.

Correct I have an o level in English language , pretictive text is the reason

Also, 50 years fed even hive exactly to overwinter must be April the first

QE, fondant, empty super, crown board, insulation and roof, bees won't leave the queen isolated as its just a void above the QE.

I made up some candy boards this winter. Insulation and some winter feed as insurance
.honeybeesonline.com/honey-bee-candy-board/
Easy to make. Unsure how they will do as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks Mellifera; you have read my OP absolutely correctly. I've run into ignorant T*****s on this website before and it looks sadly as if it still attracting them.

I've always correctly balanced the honey I take off with that left for adequate winter feeding. I'm sure there is enough stores on the hives as a luggage scale hefting indicates over 40kg hive weight for both of them, but it's been a warm winter. The opportunity to put on some fondant came my way and I felt it was worth learning how to do it after all these years as a mind-comforter while I'm out of action.

To those that wan to criticise me, I also do not know what an 'eke' is, but I'm sure I can work that out. Actually I do know - it's the extension a joiner uses for a sash cramp ! Interesting that it comes out as an extension piece for a hive.

Many thanks Mellifera; you have read my OP absolutely correctly. I've run into ignorant T*****s on this website before and it looks sadly as if it still attracting them.

I've always correctly balanced the honey I take off with that left for adequate winter feeding. I'm sure there is enough stores on the hives as a luggage scale hefting indicates over 40kg hive weight for both of them, but it's been a warm winter. The opportunity to put on some fondant came my way and I felt it was worth learning how to do it after all these years as a mind-comforter while I'm out of action.

To those that wan to criticise me, I also do not know what an 'eke' is, but I'm sure I can work that out. Actually I do know - it's the extension a joiner uses for a sash cramp ! Interesting that it comes out as an extension piece for a hive.

Yes, you've figured out an eke correctly. It's height can vary to suit its purpose. I've a couple; one is about 12mm the other is about 50mm. see http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/eke.html They're used to accommodate the height of anything you want to put on top of the brood box. My hives are top bee space so I sometimes don't need an eke for feeding etc.

You have to ignore some of the rude so-and-so's on the forum. You'll get to know who the usual suspects are and if they annoy you, there is the "ignore" button, which means you don't get to see any of their posts.

Good luck with the fondant

CVB

I am new to the forum having discovered tapatalk
It is very interesting and I would have thought the point of it was to share knowledge not to criticize.
When teaching people I always say "there is no such thing as a stupid question"
Thanks for the interesting thread

It is very interesting and I would have thought the point of it was to share knowledge not to criticize.

To those that wan to criticise me, I also do not know what an 'eke' is, but I'm sure I can work that out.

I would not think to criticise, I wrongly assumed that you would know what an eke was. If you have never had the need for one, you would'nt.

Latest posts

Back