Aficionados of oxalic sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the information after reading the ITLD thread, I would say this is to do with sublimation, after all, who would want to trickle over honey supers and have the possibility of the sugar syrup being mixed with the nectar.

Ok, but IF you would trickle at that time, you wouldn't do it over the supers, only the brood boxes?

Ok, but IF you would trickle at that time, you wouldn't do it over the supers, only the brood boxes?
You are only targeting the phoretic mites, a target of 15% of the hive, the rest, 85% are in the brood cells. If you don't trickle the supers then your target could drop down to 7.5% as a rough guess. Trickling is used mainly for new swarms or as a winter treatment. I wouldn’t use it with supers on, nor would I just target the brood chamber in the summer.

I am with you, absolutely, but maybe there can be occasions when there are little or no brood, yet supers with honey are on. In that case I would trickle only the broodnest boxes, maybe a cold morning before flight

Looking at Randy Oliver's material, he's doing a lot of work into OAE. Or extended OA by dissolving OA in glycerine on a 1:1 by weight basis and then soaking up the mix on sponges which go on top of the brood frames. He reckons area exposed is key. We'll worth a look at his progress, though not yet licenced, which he suggests could go on the hive in June. If it helps avoid some of the harder chemicals then I will watch with interest. Tim

Looking at Randy Oliver's material, he's doing a lot of work into OAE. Or extended OA by dissolving OA in glycerine on a 1:1 by weight basis and then soaking up the mix on sponges which go on top of the brood frames. He reckons area exposed is key. We'll worth a look at his progress, though not yet licenced, which he suggests could go on the hive in June. If it helps avoid some of the harder chemicals then I will watch with interest. Tim
Works well in some areas but not in others.

So it slows the increase of mites but can’t be used successfully as a late summer treatment?
They talk about a maintenance treatment? Do we really want that ?

So it slows the increase of mites but can’t be used successfully as a late summer treatment?
They talk about a maintenance treatment? Do we really want that ?
As Bob Binnie states it would be interesting to see the results of a spring build up with zero brood. But interestingly the results have a correlation with the weather. The dosage equates to 4 strips per brood box containing 10g of oxalic per strip, that means there are 40g of oxalic acid being slowly released. There are trials in France, I wonder if Richard Noel has heard of any results?

Where is Lewis Bartlett's accent from? It's really irritating me that I can't place it. I feel it must be from a band across England from Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield/Doncaster/Hull, but I can't do any better than that and even then I'm not sure.

James

Where is Lewis Bartlett's accent from? It's really irritating me that I can't place it. I feel it must be from a band across England from Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield/Doncaster/Hull, but I can't do any better than that and even then I'm not sure.

James
Him?
https://twitter.com/BeesAndBaking

One of the things that's really interesting to me about the Bob Binnie videos is the discussion of how they actually do the science in terms of trying to remove all possible sources of bias from the results (mostly discussed in the latter half of the second video, from memory). I'm slightly surprised that they appear to do both the treatment and the mite counts, but perhaps that's just because there aren't enough people available to separate those processes. And in fact I guess if they know the colony number for the purposes of assessment but don't know which colony that actually applies to when they visit the apiary, that may be good enough. It's encouraging to see that despite the funding issues they allude to in one of the videos that they're still trying to do the best quality science that they can.

Also interesting because I wasn't aware of it, was that mites turn up in colonies believed to be mite-free even when there are no other colonies nearby. I assume that must mean that pretty much all colonies have some level of infestation even if it's below detectable levels. Either that or "foreign" bees are bringing them in from some distance away, which I didn't realise was a possibility.

James

Reactions: mbc
Back