Aficionados of oxalic sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is a Bob Binnie, part 1 of 3, about 7 applications of oxalic acid sublimation 5 days apart. Ongoing research done by the University of Georgia if anyone is interested. Results of first experiment are similar to members of this forum.
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 to follow

It has been tested in France and Italy.
Why are we always so far behind?
I see they were pretty dismissive of essential oil products like thymol yet Apiguard et al have been a mainstay of varroa treatment in the uk for years

Why are we always so far behind?
I see they were pretty dismissive of essential oil products like thymol yet Apiguard et al have been a mainstay of varroa treatment in the uk for years
This is the info I've found and interestingly it should be similar design to Apivar strips but impregnated with oxalic. The US will no longer test for oxalic in honey. Will Britain follow suit, I hold my breathe!

This is the info I've found and interestingly it should be similar design to Apivar strips but impregnated with oxalic. The US will no longer test for oxalic in honey. Will Britain follow suit, I hold my breathe!
My point is...are they available already in Abelo's version?

Reactions: mbc
They would need to be more effective than Abelo OA strips, IMO. I applied strips in Spring 2020 and again in Autumn, I didn't do mid Winter.
I've never had large drops and people are quoting numbers per hive that are higher than my apiary so not sure I would rely solely on these strips in that case. They are all physically fine this year but there is always doubt, this year I will use another approach and maybe alternate the OA strips every other.

Back