Aficionados of oxalic sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
24,736
Reaction score
6,161
Location
Ceredigion
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
13

Anduril 

Queen Bee
***
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
2,920
Reaction score
151
Location
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
20+
I found the information after reading the ITLD thread, I would say this is to do with sublimation, after all, who would want to trickle over honey supers and have the possibility of the sugar syrup being mixed with the nectar.
 

Sanntos 

New Bee
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
Sweden
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
20
Ok, but IF you would trickle at that time, you wouldn't do it over the supers, only the brood boxes?
 

Anduril 

Queen Bee
***
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
2,920
Reaction score
151
Location
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
20+
Ok, but IF you would trickle at that time, you wouldn't do it over the supers, only the brood boxes?
You are only targeting the phoretic mites, a target of 15% of the hive, the rest, 85% are in the brood cells. If you don't trickle the supers then your target could drop down to 7.5% as a rough guess. Trickling is used mainly for new swarms or as a winter treatment. I wouldn’t use it with supers on, nor would I just target the brood chamber in the summer.
 

Sanntos 

New Bee
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
Sweden
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
20
I am with you, absolutely, but maybe there can be occasions when there are little or no brood, yet supers with honey are on. In that case I would trickle only the broodnest boxes, maybe a cold morning before flight
 

Polymorph 

New Bee
Joined
Apr 24, 2019
Messages
38
Reaction score
22
Location
Bath
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6
Looking at Randy Oliver's material, he's doing a lot of work into OAE. Or extended OA by dissolving OA in glycerine on a 1:1 by weight basis and then soaking up the mix on sponges which go on top of the brood frames. He reckons area exposed is key. We'll worth a look at his progress, though not yet licenced, which he suggests could go on the hive in June. If it helps avoid some of the harder chemicals then I will watch with interest. Tim
 

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
BeeKeeping Supporter
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
24,736
Reaction score
6,161
Location
Ceredigion
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
13
Looking at Randy Oliver's material, he's doing a lot of work into OAE. Or extended OA by dissolving OA in glycerine on a 1:1 by weight basis and then soaking up the mix on sponges which go on top of the brood frames. He reckons area exposed is key. We'll worth a look at his progress, though not yet licenced, which he suggests could go on the hive in June. If it helps avoid some of the harder chemicals then I will watch with interest. Tim
Works well in some areas but not in others.
 

Latest posts

Top